Oval dish suggestions

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cherie Knopf

Oval dish suggestions

Post by Cherie Knopf »

Hi,

We bought an oval mold from Bullseye and I was wondering about the typical process folks use. Do you make your initial item cut to the shape of the oval first, or do you instead make the item originally in an oblong sort of size and then once fully fused cut it with a saw to shape to the size of an oval dish? We can't decide if it makes sense to do all the cutting down to size before you make a piece. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Cherie
lorimendenhall

Re: Oval dish suggestions

Post by lorimendenhall »

you cut the glass pre-fuse to fit the top of the mold. so you would cut out an oval to begin with.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Both. Either. It can depend on your design- an intricate pattern may be easier to do slightly oversize and then trimmed after fusing- and on whether or not you'll be coldworking the edge (and at which stage).
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I would flip the mold onto card stock and make a pattern.....cut it out and label it for future reference. Easy to cut against card stock and the piece can be easily made with no coldworking needed if designed accordingly.

You can also use this pattern to help you form a strip piece. What i would do is to cut a base glass using the pattern and then build the strips on top of it......dam it with fiber paper and kiln furniture. This would require alot of coldworking however. You can also trace the shape onto shelf paper and build right into the kiln....using a little super glue as you go.

You are making me want to play with an oval mold this morning!! (More coffee please!)
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com