Devit solution left stains on bottom of piece!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JeffP

Devit solution left stains on bottom of piece!

Post by JeffP »

Hi All

I have used a devitrification solution for the first time. I brushed in on a piece around ground edges and then over the top. When it had dried I placed it on a shelf and fired.

After fusing it all looked great until I turned the piece over. Some solution had seeped under the piece and this has left a stain. Being under the piece it hasn't fused in I suppose.

I brushed the solution on when the piece was on my table, not on the shelf.When I moved it I had to be careful as after drying a slight touch rubs the dried solution off.

If I tried to clean it off the bottom I suspect handling the piece will remove it from the sides or top as well.

I don't have a sprayer, but I suspect even spraying some solution may run underneath the piece.

What is the best way of applying the solution?

Or do I just have to fire to a higher temp or longer?
Valerie Adams

Re: Devit solution left stains on bottom of piece!

Post by Valerie Adams »

JeffP wrote:Or do I just have to fire to a higher temp or longer?
Higher or longer than what?

I've used SuperSpray now and then on certain opals that like to devit. It must fire to a full fuse in order to fully mature. I've successfully fired it as low as 1425° and had it gloss up nicely. Easy way to apply it is by using a simple mouth atomizer from the craft store.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Yes, but...most of the anti-devit stuff sticks like nobody's business at full fuse, if you get it on the underside of the piece. It can seep through the kilnwash down to the mold. Tore divots in a (brand new) 20-inch Bullseye slumping mold that way.

So whatever else you do, don't get it on the underside of the piece.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
JeffP

Post by JeffP »

Just to clarify, I was using Fuse Master Super Spray. It says to fire between 1300 and 1700 F.
The glass is Bullseye 90, and the pieces were a set of coasters and some cabochons.
I was doing a fire polish and the schedule I used specified a processing temp of 1350 F for 10 minutes.
This was done on the shelf, not on paper.
The solution was allowed to dry fully before going on the shelf and firing.
There was no damage to the shelf. I think what was on the underside was a very small amount that must have run under the pieces.

The result looks fine, but I am concerned now after your statement that it needs to go to a full fuse to mature.

How can I tell if it has matured?
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

If you didn't fire your spray hot enough, it'll leave a blotchy, dirty, or dull surface, in my experience. I've only done it once or twice, forgetting that it had to mature.

I'm guessing you applied it too thick, if it ran underneath your pieces. Since I use a mouth atomizer, I only spritz a very light coat on top. I don't do much grinding, so I've never bothered with getting it on the sides of my pieces.

If you're grinding the edges of your work, you want to make sure to drop the pieces in a bowl of water with a drop of dish soap as you're working. That way, the grinder scum doesn't dry and become more difficult to remove, thereby resulting in dull looking edges. Make sure you pay extra attention to scrubbing those ground edges before fire polishing.
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

When I use a devit spray, I first place the object on a clean paper towel and then apply the solution. After the solution dries, I gently slide the object on the paper towel which removes any residual overflow.
Lynn Perry
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

The easy/quick method is to airbrush spray the top surface. It applies an even coating that does not run under piece.
"The Glassman"
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I have fired it many times to 1410 with high gloss results
Last edited by Laurie Spray on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

I have several pieces of BE that have a devit (Opals) I had planned on silkscreening Reusche enamels on these with the rest of the batch - Can I go ahead screen these with the rest and THEN fire once more a devit spray ? I know you can't use a devit when you fire enamels - can I do it after? So the ones with devit I'll screen, fire and then refire with the devit spray ? Is there a temp I should stay under so not to hurt the enamels that are already fired into the glass?

Thank you
Sheree
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

Think about the curing temperatures of the various elements you are using.
If the enamel cures at a lower temperature than the devit solution, you have to fire the enamel last.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/