mounting a 9 segment piece

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

sheila

mounting a 9 segment piece

Post by sheila »

Here's the plan:
9 parts of an overall mural that will hang 3 pieces up and 3 across with 1/2-1" space between...so it looks something like a quilt
Each segment is about 14x10" of fused glass - base 3.2 tekta and top 3.2 of various transparent blues and greens to create curvy, underwater scene, top wave and kelp.
Design elements of jelly fish, salmon, etc. tack fused on top of segments in separate firing.
So,
How to hang? Will hang in front of window with 2nd row hanging from first, and 3rd row, below 2nd.
I'm thinking to drill holes in corners prior to fusing and then use halibut line (nylon over steel) and halibut crimpers to create loops.
These items come sturdy for our 100' fish....yes, I'm in Alaska, and I've used lighter versions a lot on smaller pieces.
There will be some weight involved, but think this will work and not distract the eye. If after showing this as a mural, I sell the pieces individually, as it's designed to accommodate, there will be unnecessary holes in the pieces that are in the top and 2nd row, but there's enough going on in the design that I don't think that will be a problem.
I'd love your thoughts and/or ideas of other/better approaches!
rosanna gusler

Re: mounting a 9 segment piece

Post by rosanna gusler »

the coated steel/crimps will work just fine. i use that for my hanging stuff. on an aside, it really buggs me to see nice art strung up on monofilimant line. mono degrades in sunlight. end of mono rant. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher