Repairing seam lines? Advice?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

kim mckellar

Repairing seam lines? Advice?

Post by kim mckellar »

Hi all,
I am working on a window panel of a luna moth using a combination of sheet glass and frit. I have some seam lines that show after the first firing. I always intended to fire it twice to work on the moth detail more. Is there something I can do to make the lines disappear. Would piling on more frit do it? Because its transparent I can't use opaque to hide the lines. Any advice would really be appreciated. I've attached a pic so you can see the issue. The piece is 12" x 18".
Attachments
luna moth fire1.JPG
chgriffin

Re: Repairing seam lines? Advice?

Post by chgriffin »

It sure is pretty....I kinda like the lines...how about "outlining" the entire moth and use as a design element? Or could you outline your moth with lime dichro/yellow dichro..or could you use your outline lines and extend them into the moth to provide additional interest? I know we usually all have a certain look we're going after, but if that doesn't work.....we punt! Good luck with getting it how you want!
Chrys
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

That's a tough one. If you cover those seams with frit you'll also change the volume of glass there, which will likely change the color a bit. You might get rid of the lines, then have to deal with the lines that got rid of the lines...

If it were mine, I'd either consider it part of the creative process (i.e., live with it), or change the background completely. You could go for a light-dappled, mottled effect by adding big chunks of transparent frit all over the background (not just the lines) in complimentary colors or possibly just in clear (again, it changes the volume and therefore the color of the transparent glass). You could add lines of swirling powder or enamel. You could outline stuff in metallic lustre and draw swirly lines that way. Or if you've got a diamond bit and a Dremel or Foredom, you could literally carve lines into the glass, fire it and create texture.

Lots of different ways to do it--the question is whether it will actually improve it. I kinda like it as-is. ;-)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

I guess you're talking about the outline around the moth? Put me down as being in the like-it-as-it-is group.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

You could change course altogether and use this piece as the basis for "Vitri-Fusaille. That's a painting technique trademarked by Peter McGrain and perfected by Raphael Schnepf.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

David Jenkins wrote:I guess you're talking about the outline around the moth? Put me down as being in the like-it-as-it-is group.
I think the issue is the diagonal lines in the blue that go from bottom left upward.

It is a beautiful piece, though. I like the idea of using chunks/small pieces of clear to dilute the background -- either the entire background or a pattern that manages to hide the lines while adding interest. Or, leave it as it is :).

Dana W.
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

Ok - now I see that line. The moth draws one's attention so completely that I think that line may be a non-issue?
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

I agree, the seam lines really don't seem to be much of an issue with your interesting piece of art. if they really bother you I would add something subtle to the entire background, like others have said chunks of clear or coordinating blue/green.