Using a stainless steel ring and scrap clear glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

bothofushk

Using a stainless steel ring and scrap clear glass

Post by bothofushk »

Hi all,,I want to put my scrap glass in the 12 inch ring and make a solid piece of clear ...but I dont know how much scrap to measure out..I talked to the person I bought my ring( Laurie Spray even though I called tooooo early ..sorry Laurie) and she said to cut a circle of glass and weight it,,,well..I would but I dont have a circle cutter and dont want to ruin any more of my clear glass lol..so is there a genius out there who would know how much a 12 inch cirlce of Bullseye tekta would weigh?...or know of an EASY way to figure it out...Thanks so much,,I always know there will be several nice artists out there willing to help a novice.

bothoufushk
Chris J

Re: Using a stainless steel ring and scrap clear glass

Post by Chris J »

On Fusedglass.org under tools, there is a calculator you can use. It gives the weight that you need to use.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

A 12" diameter is about 113 square inches. Multiply by 0.25 to get the volume of the circle 1/4" thick. That gives you 28.3 cubic inches. Glass weighs 0.09 lbs per cubic inch. So you need about 2.5 lbs of glass to make a 12" diameter 1/4" thick.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
bothofushk

Post by bothofushk »

OMG..I didnt expect an answer so SOON,,but thank you so much..Tony and Chris J...

bothofushk
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

The figure I use for the weight of glass is 154 pounds per cubic foot. Tony's calcs are quite close to this. As I recall we all took geometry in High School. Whoda thunk it would come in handy later in life? All you gotta do is remember how to do it...
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Ha! It was early! But...no problem....i had my first cup of coffee in hand.
I am lousy at math and have a scale handy so for me weighing a circle of glass that fits in the ring i am using and then multiplying the weight by 2 for a 1/4". 3 for a 3/8" is a nice easy waY to go. The above info is great too! Hope you are having fun!!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
bothofushk

Post by bothofushk »

:) really sorry Laurie,,,I am in East Texas and didnt THINK..wont happen again,,,Your were so NICE to me,,glad you had your coffee lol....Thanks so much,,will order from you again...

bothofushk(kathi)
Eryc F.

Post by Eryc F. »

For future reference of working out square footage of circles (or other odd shapes):

http://www.csgnetwork.com/areaellipse.html

So the 12" diameter circle works perfectly with the above answers: 113.097335544 inches!

I use this one for squares and rectangles: http://www.csgnetwork.com/areainftandincalc.html

because math is not my friend!
Drewcilla

Post by Drewcilla »

There's a free Bullseye app for iPhone (maybe other phones as well) that will give the the amount of glass you need. You pick the shape, put in the dimensions, and it calculates the amount of glass you need. It's found under "Tools" on the app.

Drewcilla
bothofushk

Re: Using a stainless steel ring and scrap cleaanr glass

Post by bothofushk »

Thanks yall,,,dont have a SMARTphone,,live in a very rural area :),,but can always call someone that does...and Math is certainly NOT my friend either lol

bothofushk(kathi)
Franzeska

Post by Franzeska »

It sounds like math IS your friend when it comes to figuring out these problems. :wink:
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

And if you do the maths in the metric system it is even more simple.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

How would you lay something like up? Wouldn't there be faint lines and shadows all over the blank after it's fired? I've been thinking of something similar with my small mountain of clear.
Cate
bothofushk

Post by bothofushk »

Hi,,Cate,,yes you have shadows etc...I kinda like it..and when I add "something" else to it...(dont know what yet :)) it will look great
bothofushk
Attachments
ring.jpg