HELP with Bartlett RTC1000 program delay

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Franzeska

HELP with Bartlett RTC1000 program delay

Post by Franzeska »

Does anyone know how to get rid of a delayed start? I'm at my wits' end. Dang.

Yes, I read the RTC1000 manual - several times. I checked the Bartlett website. Nowhere can I find how to get rid of a program delay. Unfortunately for me, the delay was set for 6 hours. I tried a different user. I turned the kiln off and even unplugged it hoping that the memory would get wiped out. The company the kiln was purchased from isn't open so I can't ask them. The only thing the manual says is that the delay resets to "0" after firing is completed. For the time being I have entered a schedule to fire one segment for 1 minute. The six hour delay is counting down, but I'd like to get rid of the 6 hours right NOW.

Thanks.
Lynn Perry

Re: HELP with Bartlett RTC1000 program delay

Post by Lynn Perry »

Too lazy to go downstairs and look at my controller, but I believe after you have defined the number of segments for your program and set the ramp and temperature for the last segment and pressed Enter, you are asked to set the Delay. I have never used the Delay feature, but, if you enter 0 for the Delay and press Enter that should solve the problem. You need to continue to press Enter until you see Comp which means you have finished the programming. If this doesn't remove your delay, just post again and I will go program my controller to see what to do.
Lynn Perry
Franzeska

Post by Franzeska »

I tried that but it didn't work. That's what I meant when I said that I tried to enter a different user program. When I try to reprogram the delay, the 6 hours comes up and will not budge no matter what I push. It is like the 6 hour delay is stuck in there forever.

Thank you for offering to check your controller, but I have resigned myself to waiting out the 6 hours to see if it goes away. Only 3 hours to go...

Thanks anyway.
Eryc F.

Post by Eryc F. »

I doubt they're open today, but try contacting Bartlett tomorrow, instead of the kiln manufacturer?

http://www.bartinst.com/contact.html
Franzeska

Post by Franzeska »

Thanks Eryc. I already emailed them. Hope to hear from them tomorrow. At least I'll know what to do if I goof like this again. (It's doubtful I'll make this mistake again. #-o )
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

I just went downstairs and the time when I see the Delay setting is after I start running the program and press the Program Review key. Just to be sure, does your user guide have a section in a block titled "Ramp-Hold Programming" on page 9? If so, are you following the instructions in Step 9 exactly? If you are doing this, I agree that you have a controller problem.

I don't know how old your controller is or what version of software it is running, but with my controller when the program cycle is complete, it flashes "Comp" in the window. If I do not press Stop, the controller will continue to flash Comp. If I turn off the kiln and turn it on again later, Comp flashes. When I press Stop, the message in the window changes to Idle. If you are not using Stop, perhaps the controller thinks the program cycle is not fully done.

Just for fun, you might try pressing key 9 to skip a step as described also on page 9 and see if the controller will advance to the first step of your actual program. What's three more hours..... Sorry you are having the problem.

On other tidbit not related to Delay, but as I bled-off heat by opening the lid, I kept getting ErCd which completely stopped the firing cycle. If you are still using ErCd, you might want to consider turning it off as described on Page 12. Once it is off, it will remain off until you turn it on again. It will also be displayed as off when you press the Program Review key when the firing cycle has begn.

Good luck.
Lynn Perry
Franzeska

Post by Franzeska »

Lynn - Thanks for checking on the controller operations.

My problem is that I never fired the kiln so the program didn't run. It looks like the delay is a separate program, not part of the user program.

I let the delay run out on my one minute schedule and it was finally gone. Case closed (unless Bartlett replies to my email and imparts a secret about how to change or delete a delay.

Thanks all!
Al Bray

Post by Al Bray »

Franzeska wrote:Lynn - Thanks for checking on the controller operations.

My problem is that I never fired the kiln so the program didn't run. It looks like the delay is a separate program, not part of the user program.

I let the delay run out on my one minute schedule and it was finally gone. Case closed (unless Bartlett replies to my email and imparts a secret about how to change or delete a delay.

Thanks all!
I read that you were able to come up with a work-a-round that got you going. Excellent.

My new Denver has the Bartlet RTC1000 and one thing that I noticed is from the IDLE state, if I hit the Enter key and then the dispay shows the 4 dashes, instead of selecting RAMP/HOLD and then reviewing/setting a user program, I can instead press the number 3 Key (Delay is actually on that key below the number) and at that point I can enter/clear out a delay. If a delay is set, it is for what ever the last user program was run on the controller. I found it to be a quick way to set or clear out a delay without having to cycle all the way through a user program. Might be worth a try to see if it works on your controller.

- Al