problems cleaning after full fuse

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mbmccann

problems cleaning after full fuse

Post by mbmccann »

This seems really bizarre to me, but I was cleaning the violet striker after it had been fired twice (first time underfired) to a full fuse temp. I was using the bullseye recommended cleaning techniques as I had before each of the fuse firings - lint free cotton cloth and Spartan cleaner. Before my eyes I saw it haze up. The piece was cold, having sat overnight in my studio. I called Bullseye and they suggested maybe it was my water. Though you would think the water would have had the same effect on the underfired glass or unfired glass- and it did not.
I did a test fire and cleaned afterward with Spartan mixed with distilled water. Same result.

Has anyone heard of this before?? It is as if the glass became porous.

Thanks for any input. BTW no other cleaners took the haze off my piece.
Tony Smith

Re: problems cleaning after full fuse

Post by Tony Smith »

Spartan makes hundreds of cleaning solutions. Would you post more information about which Spartan cleaner and how you prepared it?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
mbmccann

Post by mbmccann »

It is Concentrated WIndow Cleaner, that I bought from the Bullseye catalog a few years ago. I dilute it 20 to 1 as instructions indicate.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Odd. Either the surface is etching, which wouldn't seem likely unless you were using Spartan Acid Wash (joke), or the cleaner is revealing mild surface devit.

Has it only happened once or can you reproduce it?
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

In my experience, purple is prone to devit. I use System 96, but purple transparents and a few light opals are the only glasses I have devit problems with.

Dana W.
mbmccann

Post by mbmccann »

I suppose it might be a weird thing where the cleaning brought out some devit that wasn't visible?? seems very odd though.

Thanks for your help.

I don't have a sand blaster to clean it off and there is dichro on the piece that would be hard to mask anyway.

Any solutions to remove the haze?

Thanks to all who have responded
Judd

Post by Judd »

Several people have had success using acid etch to remove devit. Armour Etch is sold by Hobby Lobby.
mbmccann

Post by mbmccann »

etch it off and then fire polish? I will try it . THanks,
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

If the haze is very light and you don't mind taking an hour or so to do it, the cheapest way is with 200 and 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper, a little water and some elbow grease. Gives a very nice finish that glosses off well.

You may also want to look at why you're getting the devit. Check your schedule, make sure you're not using fiber paper, especially in the final firing (unless you vent the kiln on the way up), review your glass cleaning products and practices and make sure that there is absolutely NO residue on the glass when it goes in the kiln.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I have had devit on violet striker.......mild haze. I now spray it with devit spray before firing.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
mbmccann

Post by mbmccann »

Right, so I guess the consensus is that it is devit. It really didn't happen (or wasn't visible) until after the second full fuse when I cleaned it. It looked perfectly clear, I sprayed Spartan on it, wiped it and viola - haze!

Thanks all for your suggestions.