Grinder/ polisher

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

osnat

Grinder/ polisher

Post by osnat »

Hello,

I want to advise you about polisher. It's a long time I want to buy it but stuck.
To buy the dedicated tool it is very expensive and worth of that it will take along time (to import).

So I thought about hand grinder with water support.
But I understood the their are different for some area: like stone, marvel...
So , I have few q:
1. Are these kind of polisher good for glass, and I can get a high level of work.
2 Are there important features I should pay attention to
3what do you think about the one in picther
4 maby I will be soon in New York,mabe you can recommend tool and were to buy

Osnat
Attachments
image.jpg
lbailey

Re: Grinder/ polisher

Post by lbailey »

I had the same question and got good feedback here: http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =2&t=40397

Bottom line, most folks seem to suggest that a flat lap is the better option (unless you are doing large work where you need to bring the grinder to the glass). I am trying to make a flat lap decision now.... :-k
Havi

Post by Havi »

Osnat,

You might find it interesting to read Jonathon Schmuck's book The joy of coldworking, this book is sold by Brad walker from this website. It covers almost of the coldworking tools, with explanations when and how to use them.

Also, if you look at HIs glass works website, you can see all sorts of coldworking tools. I think he also offers some short films explaining how to use them....

Good luck

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

osnat wrote: maby I will be soon in New York,mabe you can recommend tool and were to buy Osnat
DO NOT buy the Apollo saw from Gemini. Good power for ring saw and cutting blades, but the grinder/polisher ruins belts and comes with really low-quality (read as CHEAP) disks. The drive belts are not currently available from suppliers which makes me think I'm not the only person who ruined belts with the polisher and now can't use the machine at all. Wish I had my money back!
Jerry