Ugh, yet another tile saw question! :)

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Eryc F.

Ugh, yet another tile saw question! :)

Post by Eryc F. »

I have a MK-145 table saw http://www.mkdiamond.com/tile/saw_145.html.

I finally got a nice, very thin blade for it, from Daniel Lopacki (someone here recommended). I believe it's .008.

The problem I'm having is that the moment the blade touches the glass, the blade curves to the right (looking at it) a little, enough to make the cut go way, way, way awry. I tried putting a washer next to the blade to act as a stiffener, but the blade still curves.

I tried moving the glass ultra, ultra slowly, I mean, tiny tiny bit. But the moment the blade touches the glass - curve!

Short of getting a better saw (absolutely can't do that right now), is there anything I can do? Or just use the normal blade, deal with the width of it, and save my pennies towards a new saw someday in the future?
The Hobbyist

Re: Ugh, yet another tile saw question! :)

Post by The Hobbyist »

I suspect you need to adjust (or improve) the fence so that your glass is moving absolutely parallel to the blade. Any deviation will push the blade off line. A stiff blade will resist this deflection some but should then chip out of the backside.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

The thin blades need stiffeners/stabilizers on both sides, and they need to be fairly large. Or at least my thin blade does:
My saw's table isn't all that square to the blade, but the blade makes perfect cuts as long as the stiffeners are on.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Eryc F.

Post by Eryc F. »

I thought it was pretty darn parallel, but I will definitely check it with a metal ruler, or something that I know is a dead on straight line.

I added a pretty thick washer - the table isn't adjustable, or the blade height, so I'm pretty limited on how big a washer (stiffener) I can use. I'll see if there's room for a little bigger one.

Thanks!!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Try swapping washers (I assume you've got one on each side of the blade).
Also try flipping the blade.
Call Bob at HIS.
Get the .040 Result- it's thin enough without going crazy.
Make sure that you have equal amounts of water on each side of the blade.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Eryc F. wrote:I thought it was pretty darn parallel, but I will definitely check it with a metal ruler, or something that I know is a dead on straight line.

I added a pretty thick washer - the table isn't adjustable, or the blade height, so I'm pretty limited on how big a washer (stiffener) I can use. I'll see if there's room for a little bigger one.

Thanks!!
A little bigger TWO...if you only put the stabilizer on one side of the blade (it's not the thickness, it's the diameter that you're worried about), you'll only stop the wobble on one side.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
seachange

Post by seachange »

Morganica wrote:The thin blades need stiffeners/stabilizers on both sides, and they need to be fairly large. Or at least my thin blade does:
My saw's table isn't all that square to the blade, but the blade makes perfect cuts as long as the stiffeners are on.
Hi Morganica

Could you please let me know diameter of the stabilizer and diameter of blade you are using?

I have 10" blades, and need to order stiffeners, but not quite sure about the size. Large enough to stabilize effectively, while trying to maximise cut depth.

Have an Italian tile saw (Australia). Unfortunately can't order from HIS, tried but he does not carry, and can't order, the arbor size I need in this blade diameter. So have had to have the thin blade made in the US and shipped. Now I have to do the same with the stiffeners.

Would like to make sure I am ordering the right size.

Many thanks for your help, seachange