Texture molds,

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

S.TImmerman

Texture molds,

Post by S.TImmerman »

I've seen plenty of texture molds for sale and was wondering how difficult and what materials they use.
I would love to know how to make my own rather than buying someone's art work.

Thank you
Last edited by S.TImmerman on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosanna gusler

Re: Texture molds,

Post by rosanna gusler »

buy a block of clay and go for it. i think paper clay is best. white clay is better than colored. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

A local clay center or college might have a machine to roll-out clay in slabs to your desired thickness, which gives you a head start making clay molds. There also exists buckets of fiber refractory mixed in a sticky gooey form you can layer around shapes (like the top to a barbecue grill or other spun aluminum objects) to obtain large slumping molds.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I make texture molds using sand casting methods, by cutting 1/32" fiber paper, by painting a texture on a kiln shelf with kilnwash, by carving fiberboards, or using blanket and alumina hydrate.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

since you're in southern CA, contact Laguna clays and tell them what you are attempting to achieve and see what they recommend. I've just used a stoneware clay body for mine. you can roll it out with a large dowel rod or rolling pin and then just impress whatever texture into it you choose. lots of kitchen utensils have different textures as well as decorative expanded metal, try a thrift shop and see what you can get for under a $. then fire your clay to the prescribed temp and you have your texture pattern. making perfectly large flat surfaces can be a challenge.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I like Stoneware clay.....no need for a slab roller......just use a rolling pin, newspaper and some guides along the edge that will determine the thickness. When stamping in texture be careful to avoid undercuts. Dry slowly and throughly.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Well Thank you very much! English is not my first language however that post made me look illiterate! Thank you for all the great ideas! I really appreciate it.