Vermiculite board

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

basketjunkie

Vermiculite board

Post by basketjunkie »

I have a Skutt GM1414 kiln, that has 3 kiln shelves. I need to fire a piece that is 24x8 in. So I bought a piece of vermiculite board that is 2x3 ft. Can I place the vermiculite board on top of the kiln shelves, so that I will have a flat surface (without seams) to fire my piece on?

And do I need to pre-fire the vermiculite board? Bought the board at Seattle Pottery.

Thanks,
Carolyn
Marty

Re: Vermiculite board

Post by Marty »

basketjunkie wrote:I have a Skutt GM1414 kiln, that has 3 kiln shelves. I need to fire a piece that is 24x8 in. So I bought a piece of vermiculite board that is 2x3 ft. Can I place the vermiculite board on top of the kiln shelves, so that I will have a flat surface (without seams) to fire my piece on?
YES
And do I need to pre-fire the vermiculite board? Bought the board at Seattle Pottery.
NO
Thanks,
Carolyn
You're welcome
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

And you also need to put a release on the board--kilnwash, fiber paper, etc.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Marty

Post by Marty »

Kilnwash has to be really thick on VB to keep the glass from seeping into the board- it's much safer to use fiber paper (you could put thinfire on top for a smoother back).
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Marty wrote:Kilnwash has to be really thick on VB to keep the glass from seeping into the board
Not only does it have to be really thick, it has to be reapplied really often. Paper is much better.

Has anyone tried one of the boron nitride sprays on vermiculite board? Wonder how it would hold up.
G's

Post by G's »

Why don't you use a heavier gauge of stainless steel sheet to lay over the kiln shelves thereby bridging the gap? Use kiln wash or thin-fire on the SS.
Marty

Post by Marty »

SS warps.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

G's wrote:Why don't you use a heavier gauge of stainless steel sheet to lay over the kiln shelves thereby bridging the gap? Use kiln wash or thin-fire on the SS.
SS sheet will warp something wicked. 1/4" Unifrax LD Duraboard would work, but is not durable and is relatively expensive. Actually any fiber board 24" x 36" x 1" will work well. I prefer HD boards. The only catch is that the easy sources all want to sell you a case. If you get lucky, somebody will sell you a single sheet. I prop these on fire bricks, no hard heavy shelf necessary. I dust my boards with some alumina hydrate and they need no kiln wash. This works for all the glasses I have fused, including Bullseye, up to 1480 (I didn't try hotter).
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is HD?
I need to bridge the seam between shelves, in mine, too. Thanks in advance!
Terri
<'{{{{><