latest and greatest kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lorimendenhall

latest and greatest kiln

Post by lorimendenhall »

I've been heavily into fusing for about 6 months and have outgrown my very small kiln. I'd like recommendations for the latest and greatest. my only real constraint is space, but if I could fuse something 18" I'd be ecstatic. I need the smallest footprint and want lots of digital programs as well as the ability to have a bunch of my own custom programs. if you were me what would you buy? (price and electricity not an issue)
Brock

Re: latest and greatest kiln

Post by Brock »

It's just a personal preference, here's mine:

http://www.skutt.com/glass/products/clam.php
HEIDI in Wa. state

Post by HEIDI in Wa. state »

I agree with Brock. Keep an eye on Craigslist for them. I just picked up two from two different people for $800 ea with about $500 worth of glass a supplies!
HEIDI
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Brock wrote:It's just a personal preference, here's mine:

http://www.skutt.com/glass/products/clam.php

This is one of my kilns too- I got it from a nice lady on this board for 500.00- 2 years old and very well maintained. Its great for raking glass and loading a prepared (deep kilns can be challenging) I have two shelfs for it and its SOO easy to program compared to my smaller skutt kilns.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I have a skutt clamshell too. You can find a thread somewhere on here about the way the elements behave over time. I do like the kiln and controller, and skutt service.

You want opinions that disregard cost? Those Nabertherms and Furnace Engineering kilns look sweet.

I'd probably have a bell kiln custom made. With my personal preferences of Harvest Gold or Avocado 1970's kitchen color enamel sheathing.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

If money is no object, get a Nabertherm. My kids will probably bury me in mine.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Brad Walker wrote:If money is no object, get a Nabertherm. My kids will probably bury me in mine.
No way, they will still be using it
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

jim burchett wrote:
Brad Walker wrote:If money is no object, get a Nabertherm. My kids will probably bury me in mine.
Then I guess they'll just cremate me in the kiln and then keep it for themselves.
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

If price were no object, what would one expect to pay for a Nabertherm clamshell one-meter kiln? Just ballparking?
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Brad Walker wrote:
jim burchett wrote:
Then I guess they'll just cremate me in the kiln and then keep it for themselves.
Memorial Glass.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

David Jenkins wrote:If price were no object, what would one expect to pay for a Nabertherm clamshell one-meter kiln? Just ballparking?
I think it's around $7000. GF190, roughly one meter by half meter.

I have the GF240, next size up, roughly one meter by 3/4 meter. It was $5000 delivered when I bought it around 5 years ago, probably around $8000 or $9000 now.

One thing all of the kiln manufacturers (US or foreign) have done is do a pretty good job of raising kiln prices faster than inflation.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I have found that Clay-King has competitive pricing on kilns. I bought two of mine there.

Dana W.
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

thanks for all the info. ha ha I guess I should not have said money is no object! I will check out the info you gave me.