Iridised glass which way up

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Schulz

Iridised glass which way up

Post by Paul Schulz »

hi guys hope your weather is better than mine,,

The mission: i'm having a go at glass weaving and want to do a full fuse of the "cloth" on to a piece of iridised glass,this, then to become the inside of a bowl . i'm not worried about air bubbles,in the finish blank.

The question :which way up should i fire Iridised glass( the whole piece is spectrum glass) the iridised is spectrum I100G,,iridised up or facing the kiln shelf, is there a max temp i can take it to before the iridised burns off.as i would really like to hold it at full fuse for awhile to let it flow

The question : should i treat the unfused glass that will be the woven glass as 3mm or should i treat it as 15mm as this is the height of the top of the bends to the bottom,and is very close together.
And as always i thankyou for your your in this matter
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Iridised glass which way up

Post by Brad Walker »

If it's Spectrum fusible irid the coating shouldn't burn off at normal fusing temps. If it's Spectrum stain glass, the coating will most likely burn off, but if you put it down toward the shelf instead of face up it will last a bit longer before it burns off..
Paul Schulz

Post by Paul Schulz »

thanks for that Bard ,,its not a fuseable, will be hoping it lasts
Last edited by Paul Schulz on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The irid side won't pick up as much texture as the non-irid side. Try it anyway and see if you like the result.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

The question : should i treat the unfused glass that will be the woven glass as 3mm or should i treat it as 15mm as this is the height of the top of the bends to the bottom
The reason why thick glass has longer times is simple. It takes time when the heat traverse a longer distance within the glass. With a woven piece, the distance to travel is half of the 3mm thickness. So you treat it as 3mm, with a reservation that in crossover points the glass is in shadow.

If you make all in one fuse, irid base included, the you heat up as 3mm, with some safety margin, but cool and anneal like the final 9mm thickness.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

I dont believe that Non fusible Spectrum irid will make it through a full fuse firing intact. Up or down.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Paul Schulz

Post by Paul Schulz »

thanks guys for the info ...the glass is in the kiln iridised side and "hoping" ,,will anneal as a 9mm,,,
Paul Schulz

Post by Paul Schulz »

thanks guys for the info ...the glass is in the kiln iridised side and "hoping" ,,will anneal as a 9mm,,,
Paul Schulz

Post by Paul Schulz »

oh dam ,,and bugger ,,,oh my kingdom for a kiln controller,,,,had the kiln up to 820c for a full fuse with the woven glass in side then a bit of an in house emergency took me away from the kiln for like 2 hours,,,needless to say it is ruined ,,,,,,,but on a bright note the iridised glass face down is fine
unicorn

Post by unicorn »

Hi Paul
We spoke on the phone some years back, I just came across your business card and wondered how it was going for you and how you fared after the earthquakes?
I tried your website: www.paulschulz.co.nz but it doesn't appear to work.
Cheers
Jon
jon@unicornglass.com