tac fusing L shape

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

vidrio

tac fusing L shape

Post by vidrio »

HI

I'm trying to tack fuse two fused pieces 3X2" into an L shape to use as a simple candle holder. I'm trying to use dams today to hold it upright.
Have to wait for results tomorrow. Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

It might be easier to make an L-shape by slumping over something like a piece of angle iron. For making more than one or two, I'd cut and weld some stainless steel to the desired shape, and then give it a good coat of shelf primer. I've made light fixtures this way, and an easy way to line the piece of glass up on the slumping form is to use a felt tip marker to mark a straight line on the glass and then line this up with the form. The mark burns off when the glass is slumped, or at least it has for me.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

To follow up on Mike's suggestion, kiln brick works well, too. Use kiln wash or fiber paper.
vidrio

l shape

Post by vidrio »

Mike Byers wrote:It might be easier to make an L-shape by slumping over something like a piece of angle iron. For making more than one or two, I'd cut and weld some stainless steel to the desired shape, and then give it a good coat of shelf primer. I've made light fixtures this way, and an easy way to line the piece of glass up on the slumping form is to use a felt tip marker to mark a straight line on the glass and then line this up with the form. The mark burns off when the glass is slumped, or at least it has for me.
Thanks

Of course! It seems so obvious now. But for a beginner, it's all new.
Thanks so much! I'd really like to get into light fixtures too as light and glass are for me the ultimate. Do you know of any resources where I could get some ideas for some simple starter projects...ie books, sites, etc?

Thanks again!