Workbench top

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lrwells50

Workbench top

Post by lrwells50 »

My strip cutter is on a melamine board, and I'm able to use a Sharpie on it, then clean it off with alcohol. Can you do the same thing with a matte Formica? I'm having a workbench built, and haven't decided what to use for the top. The melamine I've seen is glued to what seems to be a pretty crumbly particle board, and I'm thinking I'd prefer the Formica.

Lynn
lrwells50

Re: Workbench top

Post by lrwells50 »

Thanks Charlie. I mark on the strip cutter often, and am not sure why I'd want to mark on the tabletop, but my daughter, who shares the equipment, asked about this.

Lynn
Vicki M

Post by Vicki M »

I would go to the hardware store and pick up a couple of different sample chips and try your marker on them.
lrwells50

Post by lrwells50 »

Good idea - first I think I'll ask Charlotte why she wants to mark on it!
Eryc F.

Post by Eryc F. »

One of my work tables is white matte Formica - sharpie come off easily with alcohol. After a few days - not so easy, but it still comes off.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I use a sheet of 6mm plate glass, under a piece of fluorescent light eggcrate grid, and I love it. Glues and goos come off easily with a razor blade, you can put a light under it to see what you're doing, and you can draw all over it with Sharpie marker--it will stay as long as you need it, then comes off easily with Windex or denatured alcohol.

I use it to record what colors/processes I'm using, then snap a photo of my notes on the glass, next to the project. Makes a very easy way to record stuff.

And if I'm worried about chipping it or the glass I'm using, or need a flexible surface to extend a score, I put down a towel or thin piece of foam. Best of both worlds.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

Cynthia,
I really want to visit your studio. You do so many interesting things. And your processes seem "common sense", easy, natural and spot on to get the job done. I love the notes on glass, photo idea. I'm good at noting things while working, not very good about notes after the work is done. This idea really resonates with me. Thanks.
:wink: