Tile Saw problem

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Pat K.

Tile Saw problem

Post by Pat K. »

Hi all,

I have an MK 100 diamond tile saw. I lent the saw to my son; he used the tile blade (not my glass blade) for cutting tile. Now the nut is frozen and I can't switch it out for the glass blade. I've been putting PB Blaster on it every day, and then trying to loosen the nut. No movement at all. Also, the button that holds the blade still while trying to loosen the nut isn't really holding the blade still; it spins. My son is MUCH stronger than I, and he couldn't get it to move. That's when we started spraying the PB blaster. They're on vacation and won't be home for a bit, so I thought I'd ask those of you who are not mechanically challenged for any ideas I might try. :?

Thanks for any ideas.

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
Rick Wilton

Re: Tile Saw problem

Post by Rick Wilton »

On my tile saw the button to stop the blade from turning bent and would no longer stop the rotation. I removed the mechanism and now just insert a screw driver (or similar steel bar) into the hole. That should stop the rotation enough to turn the nut and remove the blade.
Rick Wilton
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I once had grinder that got stuck--the threads misaligned and jammed. Nothing else worked, so I finally warmed it up with the torch, loosened things enough that I could use the wrench to realign it and take it off. Don't know that I'd recommend that, but if all else fails...
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

Is the nut left-handed threaded, by any chance?

Also, an impact type electric drill with a socket might do wonders at jarring it loose.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

you can clamp a visegrip onto the blade to stop rotation. a pencil torch on the nut can help. ditto on the reverse nthread maybe . i have a saw that is like that. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Pat K.

Post by Pat K. »

Thanks everyone,

I have no idea about the threading, but my son does own an impact drill/driver. I guess I'll just have to wait until they get home from vacation - ughh!!! I wanted to cut up some glass. I guess if I use the saw with the reg. tile blade then I'll lose glass. Not sure if it would make the nut problem larger :cry: though. Also, thanks for help stabilizing the blade; I never even thought of using anything else to hold it. :oops: Somedays, my brain works better than other days.

Thanks again - this board is great!!

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

The nut is right-hand thread. I have a MK 100 and I just tested it to be sure.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Dick

Post by Dick »

I second the torch. When I disassembled my wet belt, I could not separate the wheels off, and tried everything. Hitting it with a small propane torch did the job