Dichro frit?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

Dichro frit?

Post by jim burchett »

Have some pieces of scrap Be Sizzle stix I'm wondering if I put these in the crusher what will be the result? Anyone done this? Will the dichroic coating stay intact in pieces?
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Lynn Perry

Re: Dichro frit?

Post by Lynn Perry »

Jim, the coating remains mostly intact but some very fine coating will detach. I have never purchased the frit pre-coated from CBS which has more coating on the surface, but making my own frit worked fine for my project.
Lynn Perry
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

well I'll give it a try and see thanks
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

I got some dichro frit (can't remember where, now) and was disappointed with results using it. It had been created by crushing/breaking dichro sheets, and hence each piece had a significant surface area that was not coated. When I fused it as a decoration, there was was very little of exposed coating, and it performed simply as coarse frit of the base glass would have done. I thought (briefly) of trying to align the pieces so that the coating was up, but quickly realized that the randomness of the frit creation made that impossible.

I'd be interested if others have techniques for creating/using dichro frit that will allow each piece to expose its coating to the fullest - is such a thing possible?
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

well CBS is now selling dichro dust, but it's very pricey. otherwise there would be no way to actually make sure the dichro side of frit is facing up, I mean how would you do that??? this is why I don't use dichro frit, even though I am a huge dichro fan.
Last edited by lorimendenhall on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

CBS dichroic has a film placed onto a copper substrate that slips right off the copper if you roll a hot bubble across it. Often sections of this come off and are lose inside the plastic bag. This thicker than usual film would make nice fairy dust.
Dick

Post by Dick »

The disadvantage with making dichro frit, is that it is only coated on one side, so when you fuse you don't have control of where the dichro is (although it could be an interesting look) CBS coats the frit on all sides, so you always have dichro showing
carol carson

Post by carol carson »

I've made my own and used it in a night sky piece. Even though it was only coated on the one side, I liked the dimension it gave with some of it reflecting brightly and some very subtly. So it may depend on what you are going to use it for. The ready made stuff is very expensive (and a bit garish for my own personal taste).