Using Photo Fusing Paper for the first time

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Shirley Bishop

Using Photo Fusing Paper for the first time

Post by Shirley Bishop »

I'm somewhat new to fusing but want to try Fusing Photo Paper that i ordered from Delphi.
My question is the printer and toner. I asked a guy at the Office Depot who told me he could not find anything on the internet on a MSDS sheet for the Canon toner that showed the toner contains IRON OXIDE like the instructions say. He gave me a magnet and said shake some toner out and see if it sticks to the magnet. Well, it didn't so now i'm confused. Don't want to go to all the hassle and waste glass if the toner will not produce the results. Can anyone help?
I have a Canon Laser Printer that uses Canon 118 black cartridges. However, i will also throw in here that the last cartridges i bought were online and not "official" Canon cartridges. Tell me it doesn't matter? Or should i go drop $124. on a new black Canon toner cartridge?
Valerie Adams

Re: Using Photo Fusing Paper for the first time

Post by Valerie Adams »

There's a ton of info on this topic, so you might want to search a bit (up in the right hand corner of the page). It used to be said that only HP printers would work (I've got a 1992 HP that prints nice decal paper), but in recent years others have chimed in with a few other brands that also work.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

I have used several of the low end HP printers (with secondary market toner and cartridges). All worked fine.
If someone can find a decent list of printers that use iron, I would love to have a copy. I have taught courses with decals in them for years and always tell my students "all HP printers, most Apple and some Canon". I am probably wrong on the HP comment, but I haven't run into one.

Barry
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Canon posts the MSDSes for their products on line. It would appear that particular cartridge does not contain iron:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cpr/pdf/MSDS/TC1814_0103.pdf

Dana W.
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Someone provided a simple test.
before risking decal paper, test print on ordinary paper.
Set it in fire. If the ink stays during burning, it stays also i the kiln.
Shirley Bishop

Post by Shirley Bishop »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am happy to announce that my brother has a HP5100 that worked beautifully! It does take some searching but you can find the MSDS sheets on either Canon or HP sites to check their toner cartridges for the iron oxide. This one said less than 50 but it worked great! Thanks again. :D
G's

Post by G's »

Does FERROSOFERRIC Oxide work also? I guess this is magnetic iron oxide.
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hello,

Make the image in mirror and put the iron oxide side on the glass !!! The result is better as normal !!

Jan de Jong
haleybach

Post by haleybach »

G's wrote:Does FERROSOFERRIC Oxide work also? I guess this is magnetic iron oxide.
If you are looking at a MSDS, it will list the name of a chemical and then something called a CAS #

Google "CAS xxxxxx" and one of the top hits should be for a site called Chemical Book. Among other things you will see a list of various names used for the chemical you are looking up. There are other sites, Scifinder comes to mind, but Chemical Book is pretty easy to read.

The CAS number system addresses the fact that many chemicals have over a dozen common names and sometimes the same name is used for multiple chemicals. If the CAS numbers match it is the same thing chemically. Find the MSDS for a toner you know works, get the CAS # and compare it to the one on the MSDS for the one you are wondering about.

HP has their MSDS online here http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizens ... gPRSsu9KK0
G's

Post by G's »

My old Canon PC-6RE works great!