Diamond Band saw- cutting speed

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

helenrudy

Diamond Band saw- cutting speed

Post by helenrudy »

Hi

I have just converted a Rigid wood bandsaw to a wet diamond bandsaw. Does anyone have any recommendations on speed of the saw blade. I am cutting 3/4in slab that is a vertical drop slump (Doug Randall shape) and I am getting some cracks running into the vessel sides. I then grind down the edges until I lose the irregular dinnerplating curve. I ideally want to reduce the hours on grinding and polishing and getting the process right.
I think it could be because of a number of reasons.
Going from thick to thinner on the sides walls even though I try to cut the thick excess off first before getting too close to the walls.
The blade may be a little slow.(although a heck of a lot faster than a tile saw)
And, some vibration during cutting.
(although a heck of a lot faster than a tile saw) I am wondering if I need to change the wheels.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Helen
:roll:
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Diamond Band saw- cutting speed

Post by Brad Walker »

The Gryphon C-40 band saw goes at 40 mph (hence the name). That converts to 3520 feet per minute. A common wood band saw runs at around 1000 feet per minute, so if your unit is going at that speed it's significantly slower than the Gryphon.

If the glass is cracking, it could also be due to not enough water, or not enough water in the right place.
helenrudy

Post by helenrudy »

Thanks Brad. I will calculate the speed and see how that relates to the gryphon. I have a direct water feed onto the blade so I do not think its insuficient water.

Cheers

helen
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

[size=150]Does anyone have any thoughts?[/size]

It took me many years to figure my drop forming method. Try Karl Herrons 3 piece slumping set. Its much easier and all the rage I hear.