Kiln Plans

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Redmond

Kiln Plans

Post by Tony Redmond »

Hi
I have out grown my kiln and the cost of a new kiln is costly. Has anyone got plans for kilns? I live in Australia and kilns are limited to what people want to sell you.
Thanks
Kevin Midgley

Re: Kiln Plans

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Marty

Post by Marty »

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Tony Redmond

Post by Tony Redmond »

Thank you for the information, very appreciated.
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

A kiln is a simple thing, really - just an insulated box. Elements (ordered through Durolite) are based on the interior size, and Durolite will help you determine all that if needed. A controller regulates the on/off cycles of the power to the elements. I prefer a controller built into a portable box so I can move it around to different kilns (and it's rated @ 60 amps to handle about anything).

The key is making it match-up with your needs, like size of the shelf, access, enough space inside for versatility, perhaps double shelves, using materials easy to find & fits the budget. It's surprising how easy it is to put it all together once you've made up your mind to put together the pieces of the puzzle. I have four kilns I use regularly because of these changes of demands which one kiln could not satisfy. Some of them are altered factory kilns (taking out all the guts and hot-wiring the elements) and some are made from scratch. My main kiln is made from a 55 gallon drum laid sideways, providing a shelf size of 14" x 30" (which I can stack).
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Mark is correct about them being simple...except that it's duralite.

http://www.duralite.com/

I bought all my elements, hangers and quartz tubes from them.
Rick Wilton
Ron Behrens

Post by Ron Behrens »

Had no clue what I was doing when I started a year ago but Dudley Giberson of Joppa Glassworks helped me build a 40x40 and the electronics to control multiple kilns. Great help and good kiln and he is 1500 mies away
Ron Behrens