Wet Belt Sanders

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

John Weidert

Wet Belt Sanders

Post by John Weidert »

I would like to know if anyone has any information about two wet belt sanders for use in my wife's studio. We are evaluating a choice between two of them. One is by CR Laurence model 2200 and the other is by Kalamazoo Industries model 5460W.
Both are vertical sanders. The use is for 12 square or larger fused glass art work. I would appreciate any information that you might have about the suitability of these two machines for this application.
Marian

Re: Wet Belt Sanders

Post by Marian »

Get the biggest one. I can't find the picture of a Kalamazoo, but I have a Bee from CRL that works fine.
Marty

Post by Marty »

The Kalamazoo S460 weighs almost 500 lbs and looks (from the photo in their catalog) like the belt is set way back in the middle of the tray, a major drawback if you need to be close to the belt for something. Pretty big footprint too. No price is given but I'd bet on well over $4K. Shorter belt means you'll be changing them more often.
The 2200 is a standard (as is the Bee, which I've got- I like the tensioning system better). Longer belt, solid, readily available and probably runs about $2500 now.
The Bee is made in Canada and carried by CRL but you have to ask for it.
Check EBay and Craig's list for used ones, talk to general glass shops in your area- sometimes they're willing to sell.
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

Try and find a used older Somaca. They were the tried work horses of the flat glass industry for the last 50 years. The old ones are almost impossible to destroy and most parts are still available. There are 100's and maybe 1000's of them still going strong.
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Tom Fuhrman wrote:Try and find a used older Somaca. They were the tried work horses of the flat glass industry for the last 50 years. The old ones are almost impossible to destroy and most parts are still available. There are 100's and maybe 1000's of them still going strong.
Thats what i have- im so glad this came up- i want to invest in one diamond belt- which would you guys suggest?

Thanks
Lori Schinelli

Post by Lori Schinelli »

I have used my CRLawrence for the past 10 years and would highly reccomend it.-Lori
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

I never bought diamond belts. I found that as I used the 80 grit it became smoother and ultimately it became about a 220 grit. Silicone Carbide belts are relatively cheap and if you need to they can be recoated if you have a lot of them. I have had belts get torn up many times and I would be very upset if that ever happened to a diamond belt. If I were to think about a diamond belt, I think it would be a coarser grit as you would net it to do aggressive grinding and removal of glass. of course the heavier the grit the more expensive they are. do the diamond belts have a backing on them that doesn't allow them to get torn up? I've never used one.
Brock

Post by Brock »

I've never bought a diamond belt. I was sent one by an Asian manufacturer for testing, an 80 grit. I let a student try it and it delaminated in seconds. Like you, I preferred SC belts.
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Thank you again for this. My belt sander takes a 4x64 belt ...it's not a small sander and I can't move it myself . I was quoted 980.00 for an 80 grit. That's the same as buying 150 belts and twice as much as the belt sander cost me (used) I've ruined one belt from it being adjusted improperly .. Sure would ruin my day if I did that with 1000.00!!!!

I truly respect your opinions!

Sheree