Big seamless shelf, help!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Carla Fox

Big seamless shelf, help!

Post by Carla Fox »

I am searching the archives but wanted to see what the current state of thinking is on shelf types.

We have a coffin kiln with the dreaded 3 part ceramic (is this what people are calling mullite?) shelves.

We are doing production runs of 11" plates and with our shelves with seams we can get only 1 plate per fuse. Ack.

We have tried fiberfrax (with rigidizer) and find it dings, dents, and sticks to the glass leaving big holes in it. For production runs, it is frankly a time consuming mess as you try to fix it. Plus it alters our fusing schedules.

My question?
What is the current thinking on the best way to get a seamless shelf in a large kiln. I do prefer the solidness of my ceramic shelf, but do they ever come BIG?

Thanks, as always, for your help with this.

Carla
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hi Carla, I have a coffin kiln who's shelf is in 2 pieces. I have those shelves covered with 110-J fiber paper. I don't pay much attention to where the center seam is when I load the kiln. You might want to try some of it. All you do is cut it to the size and shape of you entire (all 3) shelf then fire it to about 1450 to burn away all the binders. I love this stuff. Nanc
Nanc
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

I have a hugh coffin kiln as well with three shelves. I like the versatility of this and will cover with 110-J to cover the seems.

I thought about making one large shelf out of clay but the weight of such shelving will be heavy. I already use a motorized winch to lift and place my cement molds in the kiln. I have to since my kiln is a very deep four section ceramic kiln. Great for large molds but awkward for flat glass.

The shelf paper should keep the seems covered well, just make sure the shelves that butt up to each other are even. If not, then add some extra shelf paper underneath the low point
Marty

Post by Marty »

Archives
Carla Fox

Post by Carla Fox »

Marty wrote:Archives
Been checking them. Mostly the archives seem to say go to fiberboard & rigidizer (and yes mullite is what I call ceramic). But Bert sez there is something new out and he's waiting for more info.

And since this seems to be a problem that many of us have (thanks to all who have given suggestions, I'm going try em) I thought it would be okay to ask this question again, and see if there are any new developments. Actually of the suggestions I have recived so far, I did not find any similar in the archives. So, it seemed like a fair question to throw out again.

Carla
Cindy next door

Post by Cindy next door »

I use the 1/8" fiber paper and it doesn't leave any seams.
Cindy next door
Marty

Post by Marty »

Sorry- it was early (pre-coffee) and I skipped over the "searching the archives" part.

Why not go for lots of 11.5" shelves?
Carla Fox

Post by Carla Fox »

Marty wrote:Sorry- it was early (pre-coffee) and I skipped over the "searching the archives" part.

Why not go for lots of 11.5" shelves?

Funny. That maybe a solution....actually, that's quite brilliant. Go drink more coffee, you are on a roll. I'm off to check my kiln and see if that will work.

Carla
Valla E

Post by Valla E »

I use N-Board (ceramic fibre board from Seattle Pottery Supply). It's light, and measures 3'x4' . I cut it to fit the inside of my kiln exactly on top of my 3 shelves. Gave it a nice coat of shelf primer, sanded it smooth, fired to 1200 to get rid of any binders and it is great!
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

If you really want a good large mullite shelf look at Dyson Precision Ceramics extruded batts. They have a chart that lists the sizes and weights but they make bigger sizes than those listed on the chart. Not cheap, plus shipping from the UK. But lighter and stronger than a similarly sized solid shelf. Might be worth it if you are doing production.

http://www.dyson-ceramic-systems.com/ht ... truded.htm

ch