refire?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

kbarbour

refire?

Post by kbarbour »

I just fired a clear plate and it has taken on the crumpled texture of my thinfire. If I refire it with kiln wash will it go back to having no texture or should I just chaulk this up as another learning experience. If I can refire, do I go back to the full fuse temperature? This questions also applies to those rough texture on the backside of my jewelry. Can those too be refired with kilnwash to get rid of that?

Karon
dee

Re: refire?

Post by dee »

kbarbour wrote:I just fired a clear plate and it has taken on the crumpled texture of my thinfire. If I refire it with kiln wash will it go back to having no texture or should I just chaulk this up as another learning experience. If I can refire, do I go back to the full fuse temperature? This questions also applies to those rough texture on the backside of my jewelry. Can those too be refired with kilnwash to get rid of that?

Karon
you should be able to refire it on kiln wash and have a smoother surface on the back, in my kiln to do that i would take it to 1300 for 10-15 min...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Kay:
But be sure the kilnwash is smooth. I just took out a 1/2" thick frit casting from my kiln and the bottom shows impressions from the disturbed kilnwash from the previous day's pot drops. Thought it was smooth enough without re-surfacing the mullite, especially since there was a sheet of thinfire under the glass too.
So a similar question: can I refire to get a smooth bottom? Just go slower ramping up to 1300 and hold a little longer because of thickness??

Nikki
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

Sure, just "sand" the kiln wash with the palm of your hand [lightly] and vaccuum off the dust.
Mark Hughes