Kiln Problem

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

Kiln Problem

Post by jim burchett »

Hi Y'all. I have a GlassGlow 450 kiln that I love but recently i have been having a problem. I was having bits of rust and flakes of material falling into the firing chamber..I searched and searched and couldnt figure out where they were coming from. At last while closing the kiln I saw some pieces falling out between the SS lid shell and the fiberboard interior. I have since then gone along tapping on the lid to loosen these flakes and try to get them to clear also vacuum the joint multiple times..yet it seems impossible to get it all and flakes continue to fall down and contaminate the work inside. I dont see any easy way to remove the skin to clean it. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a refractory caulk that I can seal the seam with? any help will be appreciated. I have written to Phil and await his suggestions. Thanks
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Valerie Adams

Re: Kiln Problem

Post by Valerie Adams »

I'd see what Phil has to say first, but I've used Pyrolite high-temperature caulking to repair the drooping elements in my kiln's lid.
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

jim burchett wrote:Is there a refractory caulk that I can seal the seam with? Thanks
LDS Moldable Fiberfrax by Unifrax - got some from Ed Hoy's through my retailer.
Jerry
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Jim

I don't understand why stainless steel would be raining rust?
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brock

Post by Brock »

The rust is from the frame . . .
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

I dont either but it is..Phil said he had found some caulk that might work and will send it to me. I'm hoping because it is a PITA! Have to cover the opening with cardboard as I close the lid to catch most of it, then slip the Cardboard out as the lid closes and hope nothing else falls.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Whoa. I believe I would stop loving that kiln. And be doing a lot of surface grinding!
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

If the frame is made of mild steel, I would consider cutting it apart and replacing the pieces that see the heat with 304 stainless steel. Once at a school, I had to work with a kiln that rained rust and I found it horrid.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Believe me I am hoping that the "fix from Phil works, otherwise I will have to do something. Nothing is easily accessible, as Bert indicated I'll have to "skin" it, and I dont really want to do that.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

How big is the space? Can you pack some fibre paper, blanket, board or rope into the space?
Rick Wilton
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Phil is the builder of these kilns, right? I would expect that he'd have the proper fix for you, without you having to do a lot of rigging.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Valerie, that is what I am hoping..it is a paper thin space where the fiber inner lid butts against the SS outer lid, filtering down as the lid is closed spreading throughout the kiln.