MOLD MAKING QUESTIONS

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Anne W. Nye

MOLD MAKING QUESTIONS

Post by Anne W. Nye »

Want to sculpt a clay mold that I can then make a fiber mold over and slump/drape over that. Does anyone have advice as to what kind of clay and how to prepare it for the fiber mold?
Mark Hall

Re: MOLD MAKING QUESTIONS

Post by Mark Hall »

I've use model clay that doesn't dry - so you can use it over again. Then obtain fiber paste ready to use in a pail (I went to a wholesale refractory supplier, Smith - Sharpe in Minneapolis). This stuff is super sticky but can be placed over the clay and, once hardened, becomes a wonderful refractory mold. Can't remember if I sprayed the clay first with PAM, but I'm sure you can dig the greasy modeling clay out of a dryed fiber mold either way.
Ron Behrens

Post by Ron Behrens »

Mark Hall wrote:I've use model clay that doesn't dry - so you can use it over again. Then obtain fiber paste ready to use in a pail (I went to a wholesale refractory supplier, Smith - Sharpe in Minneapolis). This stuff is super sticky but can be placed over the clay and, once hardened, becomes a wonderful refractory mold. Can't remember if I sprayed the clay first with PAM, but I'm sure you can dig the greasy modeling clay out of a dryed fiber mold either way.
Mark
Tell me more about this paste/ refractory. Is this something I can cast glass into? What temperatures is it good for?
Ron
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

Under the trademark Fiberfrax, LDS Moldable. Comes premixed ready to go, has a hot face of 2300 degrees F. I got it in a 5 gallon pail.
gemhuyck

Post by gemhuyck »

How long will a 5 gal bucket keep?
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I've got some I bought 15 years ago. It's a bit dryish, but still usable.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

It has a dated shelf life which had expired (which is why I got it super cheap). It costs so much to buy that the supplier has to pay attention to the shelf life date so as not to deliver bad stock to his regular customers. It does however last much longer that the stated shelf life so they peddle it off to us craftsman.