Hanging a fused glass panel

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aliceRI

Hanging a fused glass panel

Post by aliceRI »

I made a glass panel for a friend and she plans to hang it in a window-opening in between her dining room and kitchen. The glass is small enough that there is a 1 3/4" margin around the opening. My question is the method of hanging. I have been looking at clamps, two top and two bottom but there is no way I am going to find the right size. Drilling holes and hanging with hooks really is not aesthetically pleasing. Any thoughts?
Eryc F.

Re: Hanging a fused glass panel

Post by Eryc F. »

What about drilling small (1/8") holes and using a very small gauge wire?
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

If the panel has lead "H" around the perimeter, open the outside channel wide and use 1/4" steel rebar surrounding the panel. The sides extend past the top edge a bit, with holes drilled into the steel for hanging (bottom corners are bent to keep it one piece, nice & strong - top length is soldered to the sides). This method makes the strong framework practicly invisible and very effective.
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

Thanks Mark and Eryc.
I know I want to have it without a frame at all and want it to have more of a "floating" look. I think drilling may be the way to go. The gap is small so the option of using cable hanging systems that I have used in the past is not possible.
A
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

I've thought about this too. I am thinking of altering the brass clips that you can get for glass doors. Fit the brass onto the glass piece and then take it apart and to a friend who is a metal worker. Have him braze on a rod of the right length and a flat shee of brass with two holes drilled and counter sunk for screws. Then mount on the top and at the bottom of each side. I have a friend who uses a lot of epoxy, so perhaps adapt something and glue it to the glass. I'm always surprised that there aren't attractive hangers at reasonable prices. I can't afford $100 for hanging hardware. Good luck and post photos of your solution, please.