CoreLite Kiln Shelves

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nbolinger

CoreLite Kiln Shelves

Post by Nbolinger »

Can CoreLite kiln shelves be used with glass? Are they easy to cut if the size needs to be trimmed down from a larger shelf?
Tracy Fries

Re: CoreLite Kiln Shelves

Post by Tracy Fries »

I use them. I purchased from Seattle Pottery and they happily cut them to size before shipping.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Nbolinger wrote:Can CoreLite kiln shelves be used with glass? Are they easy to cut if the size needs to be trimmed down from a larger shelf?
They work fine with glass and can be cut with a tile saw just like a regular mullite/cordierite shelf. It's better if you cut across the hollow pockets, rather than parallel to them.
pgegen

Post by pgegen »

Corelite shelves work fine for glass. The lighter weight is a real plus.

Just a reminder, the recommended heating and/or cooling rate for corelite shelves is only 200 degrees per hour.
dee

Post by dee »

i have corelite kiln shelves for my "papa" kiln and love them! i do ramp up 366 dph on initial firings and 250 dph for slump firings w/o a problem.
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Yardic Glassworks

Post by Yardic Glassworks »

I have 3 that I use consistently. I have found that they do not like pot melts, but I love them for everything else.
Tim Yardic
Yardic Glassworks