Pen nib for drawing with stainers?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Buttercup

Pen nib for drawing with stainers?

Post by Buttercup »

To complicate my life some more the pen and nib I have used since the dawn of time rolled off the light table and nose-dived into the concrete floor of the shop. (The python laughed.) The nib broke and the tip part disappeared so I don't have it for reference. I bought some nibs on line, none of which are satisfactory.

Can someone recommend a nib, please? Type, style, size and brand, if possible anything that will help me find the perfect replacement nib.......I can't remember anything special about the nib I broke, just that it worked very well with Tracing Black and clove oil. It wasn't a fancy calligraphy nib, just a plain one. I'd appreciate any info, thanks. Jen
De Anza Art Glass Club

Re: Pen nib for drawing with stainers?

Post by De Anza Art Glass Club »

I have no experience with this, but have looked into what is available. You didn't mention your internet sources, so here are some I found when looking for things I might need:

Funnel pen:
http://www.thegoodstuff.com/sf5.html

Nibs:
http://www.thegoodstuff.com/sw10.html (Extra fine)
http://www.thegoodstuff.com/sg3.html (Extra fine)
http://www.thegoodstuff.com/sf14.html (Fine)
http://www.thegoodstuff.com/sw9.html (Medium / Fine)

All from the same site, so you've probably already found this one; but, just in case not, hope this helps.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

De Anza Art Glass Club, thank you so much for the heads up! As soon as I looked at the links you provided I realized that the local China Paints supplier would probably have what I need. I looked at their site and found pens for use in China painting with enamels and oils. They have nibs that look very much like the one I broke. I'll contact them tomorrow.
Thanks again, Jen
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I use a "pumpkin nib" (Hiro #40):
http://www.paperinkarts.com/hiro40.html
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks for the info Valerie. I've found some others locally which I'll be able to get sooner. I may order one of the Hiro, too, especially if the local supplier has them.

I'll post a pic of those I found locally. Thanks again, Jen.
Nibs from Gold Coast China.png
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I use a metal nib holder because clove oil melts plastic. I use the hunt nibs like in your photo. Two sizes.

What Python?
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks Don. I was hoping you'd have some input. Which sizes do you use please? I ordered two Hunt nibs yesterday. Both will be the same size I guess because size wasn't mentioned, just a part number, 107 which is the only one they carry. They should come in the mail tomorrow.

As for the nib holder..... the old one I have has a rubber grip around the lower couple of inches. Will check to see what the handle is when I go into the workshop. I think it is plastic. Whatever it is it has lasted for many moons already, but if it does disintegrate I'll now know why. Thanks.

I see Cynthia has already answered your question re the python. :D
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I only use 107s. I thought I used two sizes but it turns out they're all 107s.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

The 107's arrived and they're not what I was expecting. They are tiny little nibs compared to what I was using.They are larger than life in the website photo. I think the one Valerie recommended is an option. I found a couple of calligraphy nibs. I'll try those. The one I broke was like a regular dip nib size (if anyone remembers writing with those).
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I experimented with lots of different pen points. I finally determined that using a tracing brush with water/gum is a more useful technique, more expressive, more fun, for all but the finest line work. I also determined that pen-drawn lines just aren't bold enough to work in stained glass. So the pen lines are relegated to ant bodies, antennae, cat whiskers, little bitty 'DB '13' signatures on suncatchers. I also use pen to trace a shape that will be filled with enamel, in effect, creating a nearly invisible line that is only there for reference in my color application, masking or shading. The feeling of control you get with a pen is what is so compelling. We all can manipulate a pen better than a brush because the point touches the glass and makes a steady stroke easier. But that tightness is also a constraint. I'm over that, mostly, now. I love the tracing brush. All the line work in the ferns on this piece linked below was done with a tracing brush. I would have tried to use pen in the past. Wouldn't have had the same effect.
http://www.burtglass.com/fern_detail_2.jpg
linn keller

Post by linn keller »

don,
you do make some of the most beautiful stuff!
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks for that, Don. Yep, I do tend to use the pen for the type of fine detail you mention, especially outlining.

The ferns are beautiful. Jen
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

As a calligrapher I have a number of nibs... boxes of them, horded for the day that I need them. It looks like a metal crow quill is what you got. They tend to be very small and very flexible. If you seek a larger nib, I might have one. Would you want flexible or stiff? I'd be happy to just send you a couple to try. If you send me your address, I'll send you a few to try.

I would be curious what formula you use to make your writing fluid.

If you want the nibs just send me your shipping address.

KaCe
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

KaCe, Thank you so much for your kind offer. I'll be in touch via PM. Jen
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

KaCe, here is a pic of the bistre brown and tracing black mixture so you can see the colour. I couldn't get it to post in the PM so hope it will post here. I've been able to post before so don't know what is happening with the PM. (Just one pic as the file would be too big to upload). This was still a work in progress but broke in the kiln as a result of the problem I was having with the GB4 (subject of another thread). Jen
Attachments
Pelican prior to firing.jpg
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

nice painting!
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks, Don. Now I have to do it again. Will run a controller/kiln test before I fire the next one. Jen
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

KaCe wrote:As a calligrapher I have a number of nibs... boxes of them, horded for the day that I need them. It looks like a metal crow quill is what you got. They tend to be very small and very flexible. If you seek a larger nib, I might have one. Would you want flexible or stiff? I'd be happy to just send you a couple to try. If you send me your address, I'll send you a few to try.

I would be curious what formula you use to make your writing fluid.

If you want the nibs just send me your shipping address.

KaCe
Hi KaCe, just wondering if you got the PM I sent on Sept. 8/13 with detailed info re mixing stainers for use with a pen, and my address? I just sent it again as a PM. Jen
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

Jen,

I did get it. I was derailed as I mentioned. But will find some nibs for you in various shapes/sizes/stiffness/etc. Thank you for sharing. I'm not quite ready for creating my drawing enamel, but will reread this when ready. I'll see what I can dig up. Do you happen to have any info on the broken nib? Maker? Style #?

KaCe