Clock Mechanisms

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Terry Ow-Wing

Clock Mechanisms

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

I make clocks and I usually buy from Clockparts.com. For the past two years I seem to be getting more "Dud" mechanisms and have to return them plus the time it takes to fix it for my customers. I usually buy 25 to 50 at a time. Does anyone have any recommendations for any other clock mechanisms? Thanks!
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
De Anza Art Glass Club

Re: Clock Mechanisms

Post by De Anza Art Glass Club »

I don't know about the quality of this source. I just know that it is an alternate source:

http://www.klockit.com
kristyslyglass

Post by kristyslyglass »

I use parts from http://www.norkro.com/
They give great customer service, AND they have MADE IN THE USA options.

Kristy
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

when I was making clocks, I used www.primexusa.com , Geneva, WI. had very good luck with their products,
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Klockit, or Primex are both good.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
RHunter

Post by RHunter »

Hi All,

I too like the occasional clock and pretty much all the American ones seem fair at best.....I am less concerned about the movement as I am about the hands... but if you are having problems with the movements, then that is a problem too.

Wood craft has seemingly decent ones....but still limited in choices with their hands..... theirs say Takane, made in USA...and an interesting extra feature. Theirs have an on / off switch.

I have started to look further afield..and the UK has a couple of places that have plastic hands and in different colors but I haven't looked into ordering , so can't say for sure.... the creme de la creme seem to be the Japanese, they have good clock movements and amazingly diverse choices when it comes to hands....the name is Clock Craft / Seiji.....the problem is I don't read Japanese and can't find where they sell internationally...but having lived there, the craft store I called home had an amazing array of colors, modern designs and the movement themselves had several different length shafts for varying thicknesses of material.

The other difference is that their hands are proprietary to their movements.....the "I " shape is what we all have here.....and it seems that the UK does too....the hour hand is round and the minute hand has an elongated "I" to fit the shaft.... and needless to say they are weak at best....

The japanese ones I have, are O shaped....with the hour hand having a larger hole, re-enforced with a brass ferrule and the minute hand has a smaller diameter hole , again with a brass ferrule. The hands themselves are also more substantial....in that they are made with aluminum and the ones I like the best are made into a V shape for enhanced rigidity compared to the flimsy easily bent chinese " American made"" ones

I have 25 from Klock-it and they were super friendly , but their parts are pretty much identical to the many other crafting clock places here stateside and I have only used one or two of their movements to date, so can't speak to their longevity, but their hands are cheesy and too big, for what I was looking for....

somewhere I came to the conclusion that movements that have SJK on their housing appear to be fairly substantial, if you are able to find them...but I base that only on my impressions . If you find something you are happy with let us know....

Cheers,
Randy