what to use to draw on glass (then fuse it)

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

kristyslyglass

what to use to draw on glass (then fuse it)

Post by kristyslyglass »

Hello,
I am working on a series of drawings that I would like to fuse onto glass. Currently, I do the drawings in Sharpie, then burn them onto a silk screen, pull the print onto glass using glass enamel, then fire it. I would like it to be a little more free and expressive. What I really want is a Sharpie-like marker that will permanently fuse to glass. Does anything like that exist??
Thanks,
Kristy
Morganica

Re: what to use to draw on glass (then fuse it)

Post by Morganica »

I've used the Britechem markers to make cream-colored marks, and metallic gold pens to make dark brown. But I think most artists use a pen with glass enamels. If you search the archives for "enamel," or "glassline" or " Thompson" you'll find a bunch of stuff.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Glassline paints in the squeeze bottles might be closer to what you're looking for. However, I'm holding my breath for a product that was introduced at BeCON this year. The company was called Creative Glass. Bullseye says they'll be carrying their products soon.
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

Have you tired using the silver sharpies and drawing directly on to the glass and then firing it? I use them to sign a lot of work before firing and it seems to hold up well.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I suggest visiting a pottery supply warehouse. I think there are a variety of products available to potters for marking (drawing) then firing.
"The Glassman"