Looking for tips about projects using a recycled mirror

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

toolfan88

Looking for tips about projects using a recycled mirror

Post by toolfan88 »

Hey

I recently put in a new bathroom medicine cabinet and im wondering if there are any projects that i can do using the old glass mirror. Its about a 26" by 14" ill probably just build a frame out of some old wool molding and repurpose it that way. but maybe someone here knows a cool idea. I dont want to just fuse a bowl out of a mirror. that doesnt seem that appealing to me personally. Im just brainstorming here and it never hurts to ask others for ideas.

Thanks
Tony Smith

Re: Looking for tips about projects using a recycled mirror

Post by Tony Smith »

Fused mirror ends up as plain glass. The mirror coating burns out below slumping temperatures. I've seen people cut them into tiles for a backsplash, sandblast the back with a pattern, or stencil paint the front. Lots of ideas... Just don't add heat.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I like using recycle mirror to back transparent/translucent pieces. Light enters the piece, hits the mirror and bounces back, so it seems to glow. Obviously, it works best for wall pieces, or pieces that aren't meant to be seen from the back. (although you could conceivably sandwich two pieces of mirror between front and back pieces; that might be interesting)

It's also nice to make picture frames and glue the mirror into them, then add a backing board and hanger--instant mirror.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Do an edging of mosaic. It could be regular sheet (stained) glass or fuse a design and glue it on.

Dana
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Cut it up into 1/2" squares and silicone them to a basketball..........DISCO TIME!!
"The Glassman"
Judd

Post by Judd »

The few times I've fused mirror, it turned an opaque yellow/green. I suspect there was silver in the mirrored surface that produced the color. I thought the color was -MEH- and decided to never use it again.
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

I make bowls and platters from mirrors and regular window glass. You do not always know exactly how it will look due to a variety of materials and methods of manufacturing - a fact I do not mind (Mother Nature having a hand in your work) since I have more fun not in total control. Choose an image (or make one up as you go) and trace it on the backside using carbon paper. Use a moto tool to follow the lines - moving fast to not crack the glass from heat of friction (wear a mask). I use razor blades to remove the backing in specific fields, or a wire brush on a drill, whatever disturbs the backing leaving an acceptable texture. I try to leave the silver in place. Older mirrors where the backing was painted on work best, but the new electroplated backs just make you work a little harder. Areas you leave alone will craze apart as the glass stretches, leaving a nice look. Don't be discouraged after only one attempt. Sometimes everything turns black, Sometimes a pink color, or yellow. Sometimes the 'stained glass' from the silver collects around the edge and turns almost orange. Beautiful bowls are made from a single piece of thicker 6mm plate. I've also painted the backside before slumping to add something different. It's fun to be creative with something you have on hand.
Judd

Post by Judd »

Now Mark has inspired me. Hmmm...
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

That was the point. I can send pictures if you need further stoking.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Mark.......pictures. PLEASE! Sounds so interesting!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Judd

Post by Judd »

Mark,
Wow, who can resist being "stoked" by a straight guy.
;-)
That said, yes please do send pictures of potential mirror projects.
Thank you
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

Appears my photos are invalid, and not able to be viewed here without some form of surgery. Pm with your email and I'll oblige.