what's the most popular tile size?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kate Saunders

what's the most popular tile size?

Post by Kate Saunders »

I'm doing the Audubon Wild Arts Festival in Portland in November, which I've been part of for quite a few years. I like to do something new every year, and this year I'm considering using photo resist technique from my own photos of birds and wolves and putting them on tiles. I make a 3.5" dish with botanical designs that's popular, but I was thinking in order to not confuse people with the same size dish with two different prices (my photo resist dishes would have to be more expensive) I'd make the bird and wolf designs into tiles. Is there a standard size for small tiles, or a size that sells the best? The tiles could always be used as coasters, but I was hoping to move them into a more upscale market. No doubt they won't sell as well as a functional dish, but I'm ready to try something new. Maybe. Thanks! Kate
JestersBaubles

Re: what's the most popular tile size?

Post by JestersBaubles »

A lot of the hardware that you see for holding tiles ( for instance, boxes) are in 4 inches in 6 inch sizes.

Dana
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Tiles come in 1" x 1". 2" x 2", 4" x 4", 6" x 6", and 12' x 12", among others, including rectangular ones that fit with square ones, when you include the grout space.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

That's not what she asked.
She wants to know what the MOST POPULAR one(s) are
Jim

Bert Weiss wrote:Tiles come in 1" x 1". 2" x 2", 4" x 4", 6" x 6", and 12' x 12", among others, including rectangular ones that fit with square ones, when you include the grout space.
Judd

Post by Judd »

4"x4" was once the industry standard for houses (at least is seems that way in the south). I'd suggest that size, and if your customers complain, tell them to stick it.

OK, maybe customer service is not my forte.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

jim simmons wrote:That's not what she asked.
She wants to know what the MOST POPULAR one(s) are
Jim

Bert Weiss wrote:Tiles come in 1" x 1". 2" x 2", 4" x 4", 6" x 6", and 12' x 12", among others, including rectangular ones that fit with square ones, when you include the grout space.
Jim, these are all popular sizes. I thought Kate's goal was to match standard sizes, not a popularity contest. 3.5 x 3.5 is not a popular or standard size. And, BTW those measurements are not exact. I just measured a 6 x 6 in my kitchen and it is 5 7/8".
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Bert the reason they are a little smaller is to take the spacers into consideration, that is mostly for floor tiles.
Bob
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

bob proulx wrote:Bert the reason they are a little smaller is to take the spacers into consideration, that is mostly for floor tiles.
Bob
I had to laugh. I measured the 6x6 tiles that are installed in 2 places on my kitchen walls. I thought they were 4 x 4's, but they are 6 x 6's. So I guess other tiles take the grout line in to consideration, as well.

BTW these 6 x 6's are white wall tiles from Home Depot. Mine have a mural painted on them using Ferro Sunshine series onglaze colors, the same ones I use for painting on fused glass. Once the paint is dry, the tiles can be fired in holders that keep them upright, so you can get a lot of them in a kiln load. Otherwise they behave much the same on tile or glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Kate Saunders

Post by Kate Saunders »

Hmmmm.....I'm leaning towards 4 x 4 at the moment. If they don't sell as tile I'll slump them into dishes and have them another time as dishes. Ever the capitalist.
Kate Saunders

Post by Kate Saunders »

Yes, I'll make 4 x 4's that are actually a tad bit smaller. Thanks for the information!
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

I use fused tiles in these black metal trivets purchased from Ed Hoy, and the size for a nice fit is 4 1/4" sq. People stopping by our gallery find these to be a good bargain because they actually serve a purpose - folks here are so darn practical!