hanging multiple fused glass panels together

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mpg

hanging multiple fused glass panels together

Post by mpg »

Hi all,

I'm trying to get back into glass fusing after a 2 year break due to a cross country move. Anyway, I'm designing a piece that will hang in front of a window. It will be 10 rectangles, each roughly 8"x11", hung in 2 rows of 5 rectangles each. What I'm trying to figure out is how to attach the pieces to each other. I want the rectangles attached vertically, but they don't need to be attached horizontally. I'm currently thinking each will be a single layer of standard thickness glass, with a partial second layer tack fused on it, so each piece will weigh 2-3 lbs or so. Can I drill holes in corners of the pieces and use steel cable to string them together -- will the top row of glass be able to support the weight of the bottom row or will that put too much stress on where the holes are drilled? The top row would then be hung from a metal or wood support.

I have thought about fusing channels into each pieces (like the glass curtain in Bettina Eberle's Creative Glass Techniques book) but I prefer the designs I'm coming up with that just use a single piece of glass as the background for each rectangle.

thanks!
Michelle
Tom Fuhrman

Re: hanging multiple fused glass panels together

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

what you describe willwork, I've stacked up similiar things using custom made "S" hooks. hung them 11-12 high. cable should work well.
Marty

Post by Marty »

You could also frame each panel with brass or zinc came (or wood or anything) and attach the cables to the frame. There's a wonderful (and expensive) commercial cable hanging system whose name escapes me...
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

Griplock?

And I've always planned on trying these people...
http://www.mbs-standoffs.com/Stainless- ... _3473.html
Judd

Post by Judd »

My first idea was something like what Marty suggested. I'd frame them in transparent glass, Tiffany Method. Or, get angle iron and weld a frame. The idea of hanging all that glass from wires, without actually seeing the window or pieces, seems like it would be too busy.