Kiln acting weird

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jodi Longobardo

Kiln acting weird

Post by Jodi Longobardo »

I have a Paragon sc-2 kiln. A month or so ago I noticed the kiln was just staying at 70 degrees F when I had programed it. It turned it off and on again and it worked fine. Since then, it has happened a few times. Today, I took small pieces made of 2 layers out of the kiln and noticed that the top clear layer was just laying on top of the bottom layer, rather than being melted over it, and everything was very squared off when usually it is rounded. I have been experimenting with lowering my top fusing temp from 1500 degrees to 1460, so I thought maybe that was the problem and decided to fire again to 1500.

Well, first I set it and left the room and came back maybe a half hour later. Temp was still 70 degrees. I power cycled it and the temp started to climb. The next time I looked at it, the temp was up to 1509 and it was in the 10 minute hold at the full fuse. I watched it, and by the time the 10 minutes were up, it had lowered itself to 1350. SO it was not getting a soak at 1500, but rather at the range between 1500 and 1350. The same thing happened at the 960 anneal--it just kept cooling throughout the 30 minute anneal and got down to 850 before I turned it off and on again. Then it started climbing to 960 again. It is currently at 930 with 10 minutes to go in the annealing phase.

Anyone know what might be going on? I am worried that this means I will have to replace my kiln or at least get it fixed. Is this fixable? Where does one get kilns repaired?
Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

--jodi
Laurie Spray

Re: Kiln acting weird

Post by Laurie Spray »

I would call patagon with this question.......
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Jodi Longobardo

Thanks, Laurie. I just sent the question to Paragon's kiln guru. I didn't think of that. Duh!
Jodi Longobardo

Paragon says it is likely a relay, has anyone ever fixed one of those? Do it yourself or hire someone?

--jodi
Barry Gitelson

Post by Barry Gitelson »

I changed mine on my Jen-Ken and it was easy.
Barry Gitelson
Kona, HI

"Some dance to remember, some dance to forget" Hotel California - The Eagles

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Barb R

Post by Barb R »

I change my relays yearly. Take a picture of the connections before you start - then you have a reference for how to put it back together.

Barb
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I changed one on a Skutt GM1414 (with Glassmaster controller). The hardest thing was getting the cover off the controller -- oh, and trying not to yell at my helper/husband :mrgreen: .

Dana
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Barb R wrote:I change my relays yearly. Take a picture of the connections before you start - then you have a reference for how to put it back together.

Barb
The instructions from Skutt recommended taking the first wire off the old relay, wiring it in the same place on the new relay, taking the next wire off the old relay, wiring it on the new relay...

Worked great.

Dana
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Jodi Longobardo

Thanks everyone! I ordered a relay from Paragon and it is supposed to arrive in a few days.

--jodi