Jen-Ken Kiln question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jonathan

Jen-Ken Kiln question

Post by Jonathan »

Hi all,

After much reading on this board, I've finally decided to by a Jen-Ken kiln. I'm getting it directly from them so that I can just go pick it up and save on shipping. I thought I knew what I wanted untill they asked me if I wanted to get the kiln with or without the viewing window. I have an old duncan kiln for firing ceramics and a quickfire VI for glass, neither of which has a viewing window, so I'm at a loss to whether it's worth the extra money or not. So, if you have a kiln with a window in it, what do you think? Do you like it? Is it big enough to be useful?
Thanks for your help!

Jonathan
Larry Lunsford

Post by Larry Lunsford »

Hi Jonathan.

I’ve got a Jen-Ken with a window (its around 2" dia). Definitely get a window. I like being able to check up on things without opening the lid and thereby altering the firing schedule. You can see what’s going on when the elements are glowing. You can’t see much when the elements are off.

Larry
slats

KILN

Post by slats »

for sure with a window!!!!! Also, tell them that you want the top(wher the elements are) to have a covering so flakes of brick dont fall on your glass.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

I have the window and I'm glad I paid for it. I've been told it will eventually crud up -- but no sign of that yet.

I love the fact I can watch what is going on in the kiln without opening it. It's eliminates the Heisenberg Principle for fusing :)
Rocky Gentry

Post by Rocky Gentry »

Paul,
Actually the Heisenberg Principle still applies.
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

You'll be sorry if you don't get the window. It's well worth the cost.

Judy

P.S. You made a good decision regarding the Jen-Ken. Randy and Mike are great people and they stand behind their product.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Rocky Gentry wrote:Paul,
Actually the Heisenberg Principle still applies.
Some say there are ups and downs to having the window -- but I find it strangly charming.

:)
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Hi all!

Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I will spring for the window. :)
Can't wait to order it!

Jonathan
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

Alas, I am windowless. But I am glad I didn't fork over the extra dough because I had to have an electrician come in and futz with my wiring and install a 120/20 outlet even though it runs on household current. That was expensive!

And being a glassblower too, I find it oddly refreshing to get the blast of heat every time I open the lid to look at what's happening.

But I love my Jen Ken. Good choice.
Melissa Terman
Dayle Ann

Post by Dayle Ann »

Yah, I decided against the window, and have regretted it ever since. Thinking of having a peephole installed, as I don't want to open the kiln to peek. Haven't yet, but the time may be coming...

Dayle Ann
camaro

Post by camaro »

I have a Jen Ken and it has a viewing window, its great. I can watch it, but remember to get a # 5 shade welding glasses, you could burn your retinas, at least thats what I've been told. Also Marty at Centre DeVerre is great for any questions you may have, extremely helpful. Marty if you read this Thanks again!!!!!

Good luck!
camaro :D
M.L.

Re: Jen-Ken Kiln question

Post by M.L. »

Jonathan wrote:Hi all,

After much reading on this board, I've finally decided to by a Jen-Ken kiln. I'm getting it directly from them so that I can just go pick it up and save on shipping. I thought I knew what I wanted untill they asked me if I wanted to get the kiln with or without the viewing window. I have an old duncan kiln for firing ceramics and a quickfire VI for glass, neither of which has a viewing window, so I'm at a loss to whether it's worth the extra money or not. So, if you have a kiln with a window in it, what do you think? Do you like it? Is it big enough to be useful?
Thanks for your help!

Jonathan
Couple of questions Jonathan, which model did you get, and will you pick it up or will they deliver to you, as I assume your somewhat local for them arn't you. My son and his wife live in Jax, and would give me a reason to go see them and bring back a kiln to boot, as I'm in the market as well. Thanks. Mike
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

The window is a good thing to have, but you do need to be aware that excessive looking in can be a health hazard for your eyes (IR esposure).

personally I spend very little time looking so I don't need protection. If you do like to "watch" get welders glasses, I forget what number is necesary.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions