My favorite person/Show and Tell

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cate G

My favorite person/Show and Tell

Post by Cate G »

My 6 yr old grandson has asked me to give a talk/demo of some glass work at his school. Carter hasn't tried fusing with me yet, but we have made some beads together. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have done anything with children that young? I am going to make a magnet for each of the kids with their name on it. My daughter suggested using colored and clear plexiglass. Then she thought colored sand and glue between them ??? I'm baffeled. Any ideas?
Cate
DonMcClennen

Re: My favorite person/Show and Tell

Post by DonMcClennen »

Use mosaic nippers to cut up some pieces from pot melts.... then refire to 1500 for nice smooth colourful bobbles (or gems) about 1 1/2" to 2"each. The kids on my street love them and according to their Mom's they trade them with each other.
"The Glassman"
Delberta D

Post by Delberta D »

I cut out all the parts for snowmen ornaments and fused them to round the sharp edges and I made 'rounds' for the snowmen and triangles for trees. I also put eyes on some. Then I took the parts to school and let the students glue them on a square clear 3x3 blank. Then I tack fused them. The kids loved doing it and the parents loved them as well. This was for prekindergarten and kindergarten. It went very well.
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Thanks Don and Delberta. They are both really great ideas. I think the worst part is trying to fill 45 minutes 8-[ . I'll let you know how it goes!!!
Cate
psh

Post by psh »

I took a lot of my tools and samples of glass projects along with a powerpoint presentation of a project from start to finish to a kindergarten class. As long as there were pictures and things they could touch all went well, the questions and time flowed quickly! Good Luck!
Marty

Post by Marty »

I took a baby kiln to the classroom and timed it for halfway through the class (when they were going to get antsy). Glowing red hot glass, taken out and pulled with pliers!
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

I'll bet that got their attention :>)
Jim

Marty wrote:I took a baby kiln to the classroom and timed it for halfway through the class (when they were going to get antsy). Glowing red hot glass, taken out and pulled with pliers!
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Well, it was a wonderful hour with 20 pretty well behaved 6 & 7 year olds. My grandson likes to wear jewelry, so I decided on making necklaces. I made about 30 sets of 6 lampwork beads and had the kids pick their favorite colors. I also had hemp cord ready to string and had made one necklace up so the kids could see how to put it together. It was great fun. I also made them each a magnet with their name on it. That was a hit, too! My daughter says the kids are still talking about the glass lady.
#4.jpg