Vandal-proofing panels

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tonyroberts

Vandal-proofing panels

Post by tonyroberts »

A couple of years ago I made signage panels for a park in Liverpool, uk. Vandalism was a concern, obviously, so I laminated the required coloured glass panels between 10mm float sheets (not toughened), coated with PET anti-shatter, and the whole in a laser-cut stainless steel envelope. Now two have been vandalised, apparently with a lump hammer or something similar.

The client is asking if I can make replacements, preferably even more vandal proof.

Any suggestions? Embed them in acrylic?

The glass panels are 1300mm high by 650mm wide, 27mm thick.

Tony
Jerrwel

Re: Vandal-proofing panels

Post by Jerrwel »

tonyroberts wrote:A couple of years ago I made signage panels for a park in Liverpool, uk. Vandalism was a concern, obviously, so I laminated the required coloured glass panels between 10mm float sheets (not toughened), coated with PET anti-shatter, and the whole in a laser-cut stainless steel envelope. Now two have been vandalised, apparently with a lump hammer or something similar.

The client is asking if I can make replacements, preferably even more vandal proof.

Any suggestions? Embed them in acrylic?

The glass panels are 1300mm high by 650mm wide, 27mm thick.

Tony
Tony, truly sad isn't it? I was on a foundation board for an historic home in Maryland (USA) with a wooded area that was beginning to be used for trail biking. Was told by people from another organization that they had actually felled trees across the paths on their property but the trail bikers brought chain saws to clear the paths.....so the question is, 'Can you really protect something from people who are very, very determined?'

I'd suggest you contact our friends at HIS Glassworks http://www.hisglassworks.com/ (board sponsor) as they may know of materials not generally known to the public. Good luck.
Jerry
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

it may be easier to hire a guard to protect them. If someone wants to destroy something, they'll find a way no matter what you do. sounds like you did everything possible within reason to protect them. maybe conceal a camera with a looping tape nearby to record it when it happens again and then identify the culprit and press charges. They can be placed quite a distance from the subject and still get reasonable results. used in most shopping ctr. parking lots in the US.
tonyroberts

Post by tonyroberts »

Thanks for the sympathetic comments! Someone suggested I remake the n panels with sacrificial outer layers - which is what I've suggested to the client: we'll see!

Tony