Evenheat 2841 Kiln rusted out

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

carol n.

Evenheat 2841 Kiln rusted out

Post by carol n. »

I have had my Evenheat 2841 kiln for about 9 years now. Three years ago the top caved in when the rusted banding gave way. Just recently the bottom metal started falling off. Now the kiln bricks are exposed. The bottom is about 80% rust. The rust that fell off is chunks and powder. I am curious if this has ever happened to anyone else. I have my kiln in a shed. I run a dehumidifier in the summer. I live in North Florida and yes it is humid here. I am sick about my kiln and, of course, this is a very busy time of year for me. Evenheat was kind enough to send me a new lid 3 years ago, however, they told me now there is nothing they can do for me. Am I the only person this has ever happened to? I have more pictures.
Attachments
evenheat kiln bottom 002.jpg
JestersBaubles

Re: Evenheat 2841 Kiln rusted out

Post by JestersBaubles »

outdoors in a shed in Florida seems like a very harsh environment for a kiln. You're dealing not only with humidity but most likely, also salt (which is very corrosive).

Dana
carol n.

Post by carol n. »

Salt? I live about 10 miles from the coast. Its a totally enclosed shed. How could salt air be affecting what's in my shed? I know fellow fusers that have Jen-Ken's that have been in car ports for 30 years with no rust.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I doubt it is the kiln type to blame. Thousands of Evenheat kilns have not rusted like this. It has to be your specific environmental conditions!
"The Glassman"
Marty

Post by Marty »

Put a sheet of stainless steel between the kiln and the stand. Or get rid of the stand, set up a platform of cinderblock and put the kiln directly on that.

I'm surprised EH sent you a lid- my experiences with them have not been so productive. I gave my EH oval away and will not have another of theirs.
carol n.

Post by carol n. »

Yes, I can definitely put SS on the bottom. The lid is rusting again and the jacket. Also the stand. Honestly, mentally I am ready for a new kiln. I want to make it until the first of the year with this kiln. I know my fire schedules and don't want to spend the time right now getting used to a new one.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Hi Carol, I live over in Quincy - did you know that locally we have formed a new glass guild? Check out the Southern Art Glass Alliance. At any rate, I have extremely rusty denver kilns - one day I went to scrape off some of the rust on one in preparation for painting it and discovered that there was no metal any more, only rust. So...it's been that way for a few years now. Still fires just fine. The steel (none of the kiln mfrs use thick or high-quality steel IMHO) is just there for aesthetics (such as they are). I wouldn't worry a bit. If it bothers you, do what Marty suggests. And yes, BTW, Florida air does have salt, even when you're miles from the coast.
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
carol n.

Post by carol n. »

Thanks you all...I appreciate all the posts. I am over the initial shock. The kiln is still working fine. I have made a lot of money with that kiln and when I need to I'll buy another. Several other fellow North Florida glass people have said their kilns also have rust. I guess the kilns don't like the humidity either. Cheryl, I do know about SAGA. I am friends with several of the members. Thanks for your post.
Arnold Howard

Post by Arnold Howard »

carol n. wrote:I have had my Evenheat 2841 kiln for about 9 years now. Three years ago the top caved in when the rusted banding gave way. Just recently the bottom metal started falling off. Now the kiln bricks are exposed. The bottom is about 80% rust. The rust that fell off is chunks and powder. I am curious if this has ever happened to anyone else.
I used to live in Hawaii several miles from the ocean. Refrigerators, washers, and dryers rusted quickly. Anything outside rusted even faster, of course. Cars left outside developed holes in the sheet metal. So, perhaps humidity is the biggest reason for the kiln rust. Kilns that fire wet greenware also rust out quickly.

As Marty suggested, slide a piece of sheet metal between the kiln and the stand.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / http://www.paragonweb.com
carol n.

Post by carol n. »

again...thanks everyone for responding
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

One day, I will get around to having a welder build me a new box for the kiln(s). But then I want them deeper. and...there it starts!! :)
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

carol n. wrote:Salt? I live about 10 miles from the coast. Its a totally enclosed shed. How could salt air be affecting what's in my shed? I know fellow fusers that have Jen-Ken's that have been in car ports for 30 years with no rust.
Well... you were asking for suggestions :mrgreen: .

And actually... It's not such a stretch as you think. Salt water evaporates. The salt turns to dust, it can then be carried on the wind, or redeposited by rain.

Dana W.