Thanks for the warning Barbara (Muth)!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Amy on Salt Spring

Thanks for the warning Barbara (Muth)!

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Just now finished drilling the 1700th hole on the 1700 hole piece. Barbara I would have done it in much less time and pushed through the pain of beginning tendonitis if it wasn't for you and your warning. I spaced it out and did other things in between and kept myself healthy (okay just a bit sore but nothing like it would have been).
Its interesting to me that art has this kind of ethereal quality--you see it in the gallery and it looks as if it just sort of floated from out of the artist's head and onto its stand and you don't really think about the fact that art is really, in quite a large part, manual labor. I wonder if the art patron would think differently seeing us hunched over cutting tables, kiln and coldworking machinery in our unkempt clothes pouring out blood, sweat and tears--literally. Or...perhaps I have just had a bit too much time to think while drilling those 1700 holes!! Oh well now to the assembly which I hope won't take quite as much time or be as hard on the wrists...
Amy
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Amy,

I am convinced that the "patron" has no idea about what goes into a piece. It's something that a person can't really appreciate until they've gone through the pain.

I'm also beginning to thing gallery owners don't have a clue either.

Amy
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Amy:
I can't wait to see this piece
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:Amy,

I am convinced that the "patron" has no idea about what goes into a piece. It's something that a person can't really appreciate until they've gone through the pain.

I'm also beginning to thing gallery owners don't have a clue either.

Amy
They seem to get it with blowing since they have seen the process and know the hard work it takes to become good at it. I think we need a kilnworking special for PBS (perhaps Brock in an eye patch?) to increase awareness of the work and skill it takes to be a good warm glass artist.
-A
charlie

Post by charlie »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:I think we need a kilnworking special for PBS (perhaps Brock in an eye patch?) to increase awareness of the work and skill it takes to be a good warm glass artist.
-A
there was a modern masters on hgtv done on a warmglass artist. lisa vogt maybe?
janine

Post by janine »

You'd need to get Demi Moore to do it in a movie, like in "Ghost".
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Now that you mentioned "Modern Masters" - what happened to it??? It was one of the only shows I ever taped faithfully ever week. Is it still running??? I want it back!!!!! :x :-k
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
charlie

modern masters

Post by charlie »

a quick search brings up lots of shows. do a search on 'glass artist'

http://web.hgtv.com/hgtv/web/searchResu ... Search.y=0

but it looks like modern masters went away.
jerry flanary

A little off topic

Post by jerry flanary »

Recently I was at a seminar where members of various local arts organizations were brainstorming and generally trying to figure out what it would take to improve the local arts scene. One person really lamented Americas undervalue of art and culture. He was very sad that the great civilizations of history are all represented and remembered by their great works of art and that nothing like the pyramids the parthenon or the great wall was going to exist to represent america.

He spoke so beautifully that I didn't have the heart to tell him those "great projects" were acheived through slave labor. Those cultures didn't value artists much either. I think that America will be remembered for it's monumental trash heaps.

Some people will never be capable of understanding work that is done by hand.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Stuart Clayman

Re: A little off topic

Post by Stuart Clayman »

[quote="jerry flanary"] I think that America will be remembered for it's monumental trash heaps.

quote]

Jerry,
That is very interesting that you talk about a monumental trash heap. You live in a city with Mount Trashmore.

Stuart
P.S. I saw some of your work tonight at the Beatnick Gallery. Very nice pieces.
Karen Laing

Modern Masters

Post by Karen Laing »

I have been watching modern masters on HGTV in Canada, I can't recall how often it is shown. There has been some amazing shows. kl

http://www.hgtv.ca/tv/shows/default.asp
Karen Laing aka arcticlass
Lynne Chappell

Re: A little off topic

Post by Lynne Chappell »

jerry flanary wrote:
Some people will never be capable of understanding work that is done by hand.
But those people will also never know the satisfaction of doing it.
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Lynne that's true. Right now I am working on that tricky relationship between my satisfaction, their understanding, and my finances so I am a little jaded :roll:
I suppose that one could feel smug about one's enlightenment through art and design but what is to say that brokers doctor's and lawyer's don't have similar transcendental experiences through their daily works? I know it's a stretch but enlightenment comes through the devotion and the reflection. And those occupations appear to have more value in our country.
I am reminded of the quote of one of our founding father's who said (roughly), "I am studying war and law so that my son may study science and medicine and his son might study art and poetry." Note that none of these white men are actually buying art. I know, cheap shot but, hey, it's almost 1am!
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »

Funny you guys should be talking about all this. I was just reading about art appreciation here in San Diego. San Diego has long had the slogan "America's Finest City"... It sounds as if they are trying to change that.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/communiti ... index.html

Some where, in one of those links, another recent addition to San Diego asks where our artists are?

I had a commission over the past summer and a lady in a gift shop was helping me find some gift wrap. (Some of my pieces had to be gift wrapped... long story...) Anyway, when she found out what I was doing, she was so suprised. She was from the mid-west and she thought that when she moved out here, she would see more arts. She got out here, and no such luck, not as much art as she had hoped for. I've always lived her, so her perspective was interesting to me.

OK... I'm just rambling here...

You guys seen that TV commercial where a lady and her son are walking in the park and there is a musician playing and the kid tells him to get a job?? Gads.
Deborah
Barbara Muth

Re: Thanks for the warning Barbara (Muth)!

Post by Barbara Muth »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:Just now finished drilling the 1700th hole on the 1700 hole piece. Barbara I would have done it in much less time and pushed through the pain of beginning tendonitis if it wasn't for you and your warning. I spaced it out and did other things in between and kept myself healthy (okay just a bit sore but nothing like it would have been).
Its interesting to me that art has this kind of ethereal quality--you see it in the gallery and it looks as if it just sort of floated from out of the artist's head and onto its stand and you don't really think about the fact that art is really, in quite a large part, manual labor. I wonder if the art patron would think differently seeing us hunched over cutting tables, kiln and coldworking machinery in our unkempt clothes pouring out blood, sweat and tears--literally. Or...perhaps I have just had a bit too much time to think while drilling those 1700 holes!! Oh well now to the assembly which I hope won't take quite as much time or be as hard on the wrists...
Amy
Glad you took it easy while drilling, Amy. Hope you give yourself plenty of breaks during assembly as well. Repetitive stress injuries come from all kinds of repeated activities. If they only knew how hard we work for them!

barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS