Using partially cracked glass in layered piece

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

David Jenkins

Using partially cracked glass in layered piece

Post by David Jenkins »

I'm working on a piece that consists of three layers to be fused before slumping. The pieces are 16" dia. circles, and so there's a fair amount of glass involved.

One of the layers is BE 1122 (xparent red), one Tekta, and the third 4113 (clear with white confetti and clear stringers). While I was running the circle score in the red glass it cracked, but only about halfway across - and hence the piece never separated into two pieces.

So my questions are:

1. What are the odds the crack will be visible after fusing?
2. If a positive outcome to fusing is iffy, would I be better off cutting a new piece and using the cracked one for smaller projects? Or rolling the dice?
3. I have a little flexibility as to whether the red layer will be sandwiched, placed against the kiln shelf, or fused as the top layer. If I were to persevere with using the cracked piece, would one position be more likely to minimize the probability the crack showing?

Thanks, all.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
rosanna gusler

Re: Using partially cracked glass in layered piece

Post by rosanna gusler »

every time i use a cracked piece the crack shows.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

Thanks, Rosanna. What I thought.

I found another half-sheet of the red last night, wussed out, and cut a new circle. Should make for a less trepidatious fuse.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

If the piece is important, I'd have cut a new circle too since the other glass won't go to waste.

However, if for some reason you had to use that red circle, or you were making a piece that wasn't for a commission, I would only use the red as the top layer since you could monitor how well it was firing. I've used pieces like that, which haven't broken, and they've been fine.
AmySkewed

Post by AmySkewed »

clear fine frit on top a of crack will heal many top layer cracks... but I have had a few that didn't quite disappear.