Achieve "Food-Safe" with Over Glaze?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

G's

Achieve "Food-Safe" with Over Glaze?

Post by G's »

Hi All,
When fusing glass that contains Lead or Cadmium, will it be rendered "Food-Safe" with the addition of a coating of Super Spray or Clear Coat on top? Is an Iridized glass food-safe after fusing?
Thanks in advance!
Ginny
Bert Weiss

Re: Achieve "Food-Safe" with Over Glaze?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Food safe depends not on lead or cadmium being contained in an overglaze. It depends on how much lead or cadmium will leach out when in contact with mild acid (salad dressing). Ferro 10 117 is a lead and cadmium bearing clear flux overglaze that contains these ingredients, but is designed for use on dinnerware, therefore food safe when applied and fired properly.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
martyantonellis

Post by martyantonellis »

I've used Ferro 10 117 with wonderful results. However I'm running out of it and can't find a supplier. The last time I purchased was from Warm Glass. Any idea where I can purchase now? Thanks
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

martyantonellis wrote:I've used Ferro 10 117 with wonderful results. However I'm running out of it and can't find a supplier. The last time I purchased was from Warm Glass. Any idea where I can purchase now? Thanks
Warm Glass in the USA is the go to source these days. Ferro instituted a 5 kilo minimum, and Brad buys in large quantities. The product manager at Ferro sends people to Brad as well.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
G's

Post by G's »

You guys rock!!! :-2q(-_-)p Thanks for your help on this. How does Ferro Flux 3269 differ from the Ferro Flux you are recommending? Where do I order Ferro Flux 10 117? I don't know where Brad's store-front is....

On a related note, how is everyone periodically testing your fused dinnerware for food-safeness? How are you doing this easily and economically?
Thanks Tons!
Ginny
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

G's wrote:You guys rock!!! :-2q(-_-)p Thanks for your help on this. How does Ferro Flux 3269 differ from the Ferro Flux you are recommending? Where do I order Ferro Flux 10 117? I don't know where Brad's store-front is....

On a related note, how is everyone periodically testing your fused dinnerware for food-safeness? How are you doing this easily and economically?
Thanks Tons!
Ginny
On the top left of this page is a Warm Glass logo. Click on that. Then supplies, and then enamels.

3269 is a completely different sort of product. 10 117 is very finely ground and will yield a clear overglaze. I am not sure of the look you will get using 3269, which has coarser particles. The cost difference is significant. You do pay dearly for the grinding. 3269 is made large batches and minimally processed. 10 117 is the inverse of that.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
G's

Post by G's »

Thank you Bert. I went to the warm glass store and saw a 2 ounce "Mixing Flux" under Ferro Sunshine. Is this the product I am looking for?
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

G's wrote:Thank you Bert. I went to the warm glass store and saw a 2 ounce "Mixing Flux" under Ferro Sunshine. Is this the product I am looking for?
ask Brad about it.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*