Removing glass plug from diamond drill bit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Valerie Adams

Re: Removing glass plug from diamond drill bit

Post by Valerie Adams »

Jeanne wrote:
Rick Wilton wrote:Order them from these guys. At 35 cents each they are virtually disposable.

http://thk.hk/onlinestore_details.php?id=24

I buy all kinds of core bits from them.
THK is also sold by Lau on Ebay (they have been mentioned on Warm Glass in the past). I have bought a lot of bits from them and the large core ones work well. The largest I have is 60mm. I also use the 2mm. My most recent batch had many without sufficient grit on the ends and when I tried to drill, they skated (I always test a new bit on scrap glass first). That said, when one works - it works great - over 100 holes with one 2 mm bit.
I bought several boxes of 1mm bits from Lau on Ebay and have only had about a 50% success rate. Like Jeanne says, one bit will be great but for me the next 5 or 6 will all be garbage. I know my technique is good, since I can get plenty of holes out of a decent bit. I purchased from the because I had a good referral but I think their quality has come down.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

I maybe should qualify my referral, I don't drill holes smaller than 4mm as such I can't comment on the quality of the bits smaller than that.

I drill a lot of holes in glass and granite up to 1.5 inches thick with these and have had great success. I am drilling mostly 6-12mm holes.
Rick Wilton
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Rick Wilton wrote:That's too bad Bert, I've modified a regular drill press to have a MUCH bigger throat. I don't usually need to drill anything more than 3-4 inches from the edge but I can drill 12+"

Not as useful as a tripod drill but they run $700+as

Bert Weiss wrote:Rick

I bought some of these once, and the shafts are so short that they don't work in my tripod glass drill. I tried to find a bit extender, but they are larger than an American bit extender, so they sit in my drawer, unusable, except in the regular drill press, which I seldom use.
I got my tripod drill from a mirror company that went out of business and I bought a lot of basic tools from them. Not long ago, the brushes burned out. I was able to repair it for just a few bucks. I have a few tools that are outrageously expensive to replace.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

I'm late to this thread, but have drilled a lot of holes lately and clean it after each use. I have strong thin wire I slip in and pull downward and the plug comes right out. I have also used small nails and the occasional awl tip, as it only needs to touch the glass to move it. I have a grove on each side of the bit so I alternate back and forth, if required. I need to go check out the drill bit manufacturer you have posted here. I always get so much from this board.
StaceyG

Post by StaceyG »

If I cant get the glass out, I put the bit in a vice and then take a nail, and hammer the glass so it breaks up in to tiny pieces that will just fall out.
misteroldhouse

Post by misteroldhouse »

Rick Wilton wrote:Order them from these guys. At 35 cents each they are virtually disposable.

http://thk.hk/onlinestore_details.php?id=24

I buy all kinds of core bits from them.
If these are any good, this is amazing, Rick! I've been spending upwards of $50 each on 1 3/4 diamond hole saws and teirs are $8 with shipping! Thanks!

Larry~
Larry Pile
Artist
Kessler Craftsman
Dallas, Tx
www.kesslercraftsman.com