Adding cremains to already fused piece?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

krccpht

Adding cremains to already fused piece?

Post by krccpht »

Does anyone here have experience with adding cremains to already fused pieces? I got ahead of myself and went ahead and painted a heart with glassline on the front of a pendant, then stuck one individual piece of some cremains in the middle of the heart, then put a small dab of the glassline paint over it to "seal" it in. It is drying right now. I've had no experience with adding cremains, and no experience with glassline paint. BUT this is for me so if it doesn't come out right then it's not a big deal, I'll still keep the pendant anyway. The reason I want to only add cremains to already fused pieces is because I still have pendants and things that don't come out right and I'd rather add them to pieces that I know are already good. I've seen online where people will add an individual piece of cremains to the back of an already finished/fused piece. How?

-Can you just add a cremain or two to some glassline then fire, as I mentioned above that I'm trying? And do I need to take this to a full fuse?
-Can you just sprinkle some on top of a finished piece then cover with clear frit?
krccpht

Re: Adding cremains to already fused piece?

Post by krccpht »

I am going to post my personal findings from my experiment in case anyone else is ever interested.

First, as stated above, I painted a heart with glassline on a dichroic pendant and added a single piece of cremain in the middle, let it dry then fired it.
The result: The creamain piece did not get fully sealed (which is what I expected), it was attached but you could still see/feel it sticking out.

Next, I re-painted the heart with a different color, covering the cremain again, and this time topped it with clear frit.
The result: The cremain piece was now fully sealed, however, the painted heart now had little tiny bubbles in it, which I read is normal when fusing cremains.

I also added cremains to the back of the pendant by adding a layer of clear frit to the bottom of the mold, and then topping that with some sprinkled cremains. I added the pendant on top and fired in the kiln. It came out as expected, sealed, able to see the cremains, and with some bubbles.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Thanks for sharing your experience.

To add a bit, fusing cremains is basically the same as fusing sand. Works as an inclusion, so long as you don't use too much so that the piece cracks due to differences in expansion. It's not a particularly attractive look, so you have to add some colored/dichroic glass or paint in order to make it look more attractive.
krccpht

Post by krccpht »

Thanks for the info Brad!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Brad Walker wrote:............so you have to add some colored/dichroic glass or paint in order to make it look more attractive.
This is parts of dead people, no? For live people to wear around their necks?

ick

(shudder)
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Marty wrote: This is parts of dead people, no? For live people to wear around their necks?

ick

(shudder)
BIG market, Marty. Lots of people doing this. Not only for dead people, but for dead, cremated pets also.

By coincidence, I got some spam this past weekend from a company in China that's making jewelry out of cremains in glass, in clay, in metals, etc. When the Chinese start doing it, you know there's a market for it.

Doesn't Jewish law forbid cremation?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Jewish law forbids lots of stuff. Jewish custom forbids even more.
That's possibly why, outside the Orthodox wings, American Jews are picking and choosing what and how to observe, if at all.

But this is getting even further off topic.
krccpht

Post by krccpht »

Yes, I added a small bit of cremains to a pendant of my beloved dog that died a few months ago.
Mercedes Brugh

Post by Mercedes Brugh »

If you grind the cremains into a finer powder, there is less air trapped. A mortar and pestle works. I put a pinch on the back of the pendant, then add some clear glass over the pinch. Leave least a 3/8" margin around the pinch so that it makes a good seal. Not very pretty, but people know it's ashes.
Mercedes Brugh
Frozen Music
Composed Glass Jewelry
http://www.FrozenMusic.net
krccpht

Post by krccpht »

Thanks for the tip!
Kate Saunders

Post by Kate Saunders »

I've fused a lot of cremains and although they're not for everyone, they can make very comforting pieces. The ashes can be concealed by putting the ashes in the bottom layer of glass, by covering with solid colored glass, by putting a frit design (or mardi gras glass or dichroic) on top of them. Most people want to see the ashes though.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

TALISMAN 003.JPG
TALISMAN 009.JPG
This thread has had me on a hunt, not for long but still the same it's a shame that something special personally can be tucked away without much thought until prompted. Still kniave with glass but this was done back in '99 before a solo trip to PNG. Grandfathers ashes in a talisman, it spooked some of the locals there at the time especially with the shattered pigeon english tag stating that the grandfathers spirit resided in it. It's obvious that the piece was salvaged from a bigger disc, it is close to 10mm in thickness so there were a few issues that a novice was still coming to grips with. The ashes were layered on top of frit which was placed on a base of clear sheet and capped with clear sheet. What I like about it is that there is a pin prick of a hole through the ashes that has an orange/amber glow when held to the sun. It is a chaotic bit of work.
peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

Our 34 year old daughter died in August from the return of a brain tumor...this time she had 5. I looked at the mortuary at all the keepsakes they now do. It occurred to me that I may make a built up piece that would be 3/4" around and maybe 2.5" long. I'd make it in a transparent glass and then drill a hollow out using a diamond bit. Then I would do wire work with fine silver and have her ashes to wear next to my heart. What I have in mind is more like a crystal shape. but I'm undecided at this point.This discussion is something I've been thinking about since August. I liked seeing how others have done things. I may be more experimental because of this read. Thanks.
krccpht

Post by krccpht »

Does anyone here know which type mortar & pestle (material) would be best for grinding the cremains to make them finer?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

krccpht wrote:Does anyone here know which type mortar & pestle (material) would be best for grinding the cremains to make them finer?
Ceramic.
Mercedes Brugh

Post by Mercedes Brugh »

Ceramic, yes. Shop in a kitchen store for a mortar and pestle used for grinding up spices.
Mercedes Brugh
Frozen Music
Composed Glass Jewelry
http://www.FrozenMusic.net
krccpht

Post by krccpht »

Thank you Brad.