Dyson shelves - WarmGlass.com

Dyson shelves

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Post Reply
Marty
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:58 pm
Location: Maine
Contact:

Dyson shelves

Postby Marty » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:32 pm

I bought a 30"x60" last fall, put in the kiln and left it there. If I had slumps, I put the molds on top. If I had other stuff to fuse already on smaller shelves, they went on top.
The shelf was leveled and supported and "broken in" per specs. No drastic ramps or crash cools, no crazy temps.
It cracked a few weeks ago. It's still level and I can push the 2 pieces back together with a minimal seam (and can probably sift some kw in the crack to fake a seamless surface, especially with fiberpaper on it).
I got it from Euclid in Toronto, they were prompt with a response. They did say that uneven masses on the board would lead to thermal stress and they recommended having anything on it well supported by kiln posts.
I didn't. I put a vermiculite shelf on top covering 2/3 of the area and some smaller stuff directly on the shelf on the other third.

Just a word of warning.

Jeanne
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:16 am
Location: NJ

Re: Dyson shelves

Postby Jeanne » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Marty wrote: They did say that uneven masses on the board would lead to thermal stress and they recommended having anything on it well supported by kiln posts.



Was this mentioned in their specs?

Laurie Spray
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: SANTA CRUZ, CALIFORNIA
Contact:

Re: Dyson shelves

Postby Laurie Spray » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:43 am

I love my Dyson shelf.......7 years and counting.....
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com

Marty
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:58 pm
Location: Maine
Contact:

Re: Dyson shelves

Postby Marty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:02 am

Jeanne wrote:
Marty wrote: They did say that uneven masses on the board would lead to thermal stress and they recommended having anything on it well supported by kiln posts.



Was this mentioned in their specs?


I don't remember- there were explicit instructions for first heat ups. That's the next conversation with Euclid.

twin vision glass
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:55 am
Location: Invermere,B.C. Canada
Contact:

Re: Dyson shelves

Postby twin vision glass » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:55 pm

I had purchased special Dyson Dams to go all the way under my Dyson Shelves and for my damming system when creating panels. But I have never put molds on top of them. I am so sad for Marty as I tooooo love my shelves. Mind you Raphael Schneps has my 48 inch one. AND I wish my kiln was big enough for it. I use it when I go on Residencies, and Raphael is so sweet and just drops off for me. He is so kind and generous. Les (mind you I guess I should mention this to him tooo so he does not put molds on my shelf. )

jim simmons
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:37 pm
Location: Hillsboro Oregon
Contact:

Re: Dyson shelves

Postby jim simmons » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:15 pm

I fully endorse your feelings about Raph. He is one of my favorite people :>)
Jim



twin vision glass wrote:I had purchased special Dyson Dams to go all the way under my Dyson Shelves and for my damming system when creating panels. But I have never put molds on top of them. I am so sad for Marty as I tooooo love my shelves. Mind you Raphael Schneps has my 48 inch one. AND I wish my kiln was big enough for it. I use it when I go on Residencies, and Raphael is so sweet and just drops off for me. He is so kind and generous. Les (mind you I guess I should mention this to him tooo so he does not put molds on my shelf. )


Post Reply

Return to “Techniques and Tools”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 28 guests

Warm Glass

2575 Old Glory Road, Suite 700
Suite 700
Clemmons, NC 27012
Phone: (336) 712 8003
Email: wg@warmglass.com

cron