another Bottle Slumping Question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

bothofushk

another Bottle Slumping Question

Post by bothofushk »

Hi all,,,I have a Southwest Airline Wine Bottle with an etched on label, but with colors..does anyone know if the colors with withstand the slumping,,just want to do it flat for the client..she has had this bottle 10 years,,,so want to be very careful...I have done LOTS of bottles,,grey goose, coke, sprite, vodka etc. with etched on labels,,but not this one..I do have a good firing schedule for bottles so really just want to know if anyone hase seen or slumped this bottle. Thanks

bothofushk
GuyKass

Re: another Bottle Slumping Question

Post by GuyKass »

Is it printed on the surface or recessed below the surface?

If it is below, it's been etched and color filled. These pieces are usually filled with regular paint (usually enamels) of some type and it will burn off.

If it is on the surface and if it was printed with an epoxy based ink it will burn off. If it was done with vitreous enamels (that is what I would call it, but if I am wrong, someone can feel free to correct me) it will stay on. If you can scratch it with a key or tool, it will burn off as it is probably enamel.
bothofushk

Post by bothofushk »

Thanks GuyKass,,,it is recessed and I will try the scratch test..Thanks for responding..

bothofushk
Judd

Post by Judd »

Just fire it. If it's a success, you got a great slumped bottle. If it fails, it's just a bottle. Who cares? The etching will probably gloss over, BTW. That's what happens with Grey Goose bottles.
bothofushk

Post by bothofushk »

southwest.jpg
Hi all,,,is a picture of the bottle I was asking about,,I did the scratch test,,and indeed it did scratch..:) so that means it will burn off right?
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

Yes. It will burn off.

I do lots of bottle etching, and that is a classic example of regular old paint.

I would bet anything on it.

Now if you want to reproduce, it...

You can etch a flattened bottle and color fill it with enamels for Brad or Thompson or someone like that and it will work.

Guy

ps If you want to try it from scratch, feel free to call me and I can talk you through it.
bothofushk

Question

Post by bothofushk »

thanks,,but I might just tell the lady I cant ruin her bottle, UNLess she wants me to try it..but you have an interesting solution to my problem,,but maybe a little tooooo
much work for me:) for a bottle.

bothofushk
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

Hi again-

Upon reflection I was making it harder than it had to be (if you knew me you would know just how shocking that is.)

Anyway you could slump a regular bottle, etch it, and color fill it with regular enamels (like the existing bottle), no reason to put it back into the kiln again.

Guy