Oversprays on 3mm Clear Float: Spray A vs. Borax

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

susan fancy

Oversprays on 3mm Clear Float: Spray A vs. Borax

Post by susan fancy »

When I use spray A on 3 mm clear float glass, it leaves a very slight haze in the top layer with a mottling effect from the spray pattern. I've tried applying different ways (airbrush, mouth sprayer, etc) and tried different drying periods, and also tin side down. I only see the haze when looking through the glass in stronger light.

Is anyone familiar with this? Way to correct it or the nature of the beast?

Thanks!
Bert Weiss

Re: Oversprays on 3mm Clear Float: Spray A vs. Borax

Post by Bert Weiss »

susan fancy wrote:When I use spray A on 3 mm clear float glass, it leaves a very slight haze in the top layer with a mottling effect from the spray pattern. I've tried applying different ways (airbrush, mouth sprayer, etc) and tried different drying periods, and also tin side down. I only see the haze when looking through the glass in stronger light.

Is anyone familiar with this? Way to correct it or the nature of the beast?

Thanks!
Try borax
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Three things to do: Get a good glass that doesn't scum up. Clean the glass well. Don't fire as hot. I never use overglaze. Kevin
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

spray a makes float look dingey (sp) when compared to borax. rosanna
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Spray A has lead in it as well as a ground glass. Borax is a fluxing agent like lead, but wouldn't contain the glass particles. Switch to the borax and I expect your results will be better.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Kevin Midgley wrote:Three things to do: Get a good glass that doesn't scum up. Clean the glass well. Don't fire as hot. I never use overglaze. Kevin
Kevin

I don't use borax on glass 3/8" and thicker. I am led to understand that the thinner glasses aree more prone to devit because of the ease of certain molecules to rise to the surface. The thicker glasses hold that stuff inside.

When I do use borax, it comes out crystal clear on float. I did a round of sushi plates made of 2 layers of 3/16" with borax. They came out shiny and bright.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions