Fiber paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jolene

Fiber paper

Post by Jolene »

Fairly new to fusing...how can I get a clean back side to my glass work? Kiln wash leaves a white film which I can scrub off but then there is a milky finish. Fiber paper leaves a texture and these little sharp spikes, almost like the glass started to bleed. I purchased my fiber paper from Bullseye.

Any advice? :?

Thank you, Jolene
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

What process temp are you using? It sounds like you may be firing too hot. That would account for the little spikes, and also the kilnwash sticking. Is it Bullseye kilnwash? If not, get some of that, it's the best one.
Jolene

Post by Jolene »

Hello Jackie. It is not Bullseye kiln wash, so I will try that. I'm ramping up to 960 afap, soaking for 20, ramp up to 1550 at 300 dpm and soaking for 10. I cool down afap to 1100 soak for 20 then cool afap.

This is the schedule I've been using for a full fuse.

Your help is appreciated! :)
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

It sounds to me like you're firing way too hot and that's why you're having these problems. Try taking it to 1475 and hold for 5 minutes. If that's not fused enough, you might try holding longer.

Good luck!

Geri
Jolene

Post by Jolene »

Thank you Geri...I'll give it a try.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Jolene wrote:Hello Jackie. It is not Bullseye kiln wash, so I will try that. I'm ramping up to 960 afap, soaking for 20, ramp up to 1550 at 300 dpm and soaking for 10. I cool down afap to 1100 soak for 20 then cool afap.

This is the schedule I've been using for a full fuse.

Your help is appreciated! :)
Yep, too hot. I thought that may be the problem. Just lower your top temp and get some Bullseye wash - that'll solve it.
Steve Immerman

Re: Fiber paper

Post by Steve Immerman »

Jolene wrote:...these little sharp spikes, almost like the glass started to bleed.
I think we're all assuming you are using two 3mm layers of glass (1/4" thickness). If not, the spikes are from shrinkage as the glass reaches these high temps. The less shrinkage, the less the spiking is an issue. It's more of a problem on fiberpaper than on a shelf prepared with Bullseye shelf separator.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Immerman on Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Someone chime in if I'm wrong, but I think you're also dropping too fast, too. Seems like that would also cause the spikes, and you also wouldn't anneal at that rate. I get through the devit zone and then take my sweet time to get down below 750.
Deb
Marty

Post by Marty »

Deb- here's the chimes: why would you get spikes on the way down? The glass is less molten and the skin of the glass cools first.