Glue for fused work

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Joseph Tracy

Glue for fused work

Post by Joseph Tracy »

I have tried various glues over the years for glass fusing and my favorite was Thompson holding glue, but I am now having problems with that because the last two shipments 3 16 oz bottles each were far too thin, basically like Klyr-fire or water. Not only too thin but its adhesive properties were very weak. I'm sending it back and they will replace it. I hope they are back to the old formula which dried faster than bullseye glue and was about the same consistency as bullseye.

I do not understand how people can work with bullseye glue. It takes 2 days to dry in Vermont ( the studio is warm and dry but it is in a wood heated barn and the nights are cold). I want something that dries in 15 minutes in a dry warm environment, so I can nudge other pieces of glass up against the glued piece without moving it. overnight is ridiculous.

The other gluesI have used with success are the translucent blue paper glue that was on the shelves for awhile, but that seems to have disappeared.

White glue can leave little ghosting marks. Why in heaven's name is there no good, reliable and reasonably fast-drying glue that will burn off clean?

Or is there? any feedback appreciated.
Barry Kaiser

Re: Glue for fused work

Post by Barry Kaiser »

the old (and effective) standbuy....cheap pump type hairspray . we're talking from the dollar store
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Superglue. Use the runny stuff, not the gel. Don't use too much, just enough to lightly tack, and don't let it get wet. (I'm finding that when it gets wet, that's when the white mark/residue starts)

Hairspray works. Believe it or not Karo syrup or maple syrup also works, and burns off clean. And you can mix up your own CMC to the consistency (and stickiness) that you want.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Joseph Tracy

Post by Joseph Tracy »

Karo syrup.

makes sense.
Susanbuckler

Post by Susanbuckler »

cheap liquid pump hairspray - currently using suave
i put it in a small bottle & use it with an eye dropper
Susan Buckler
Woodstock, NY
thebige61

Post by thebige61 »

Depending on what I'm doing I've used both super glue and dilute white Elmers glue. I haven't come across any ghosting (at least none that I can see) .
charlie

Post by charlie »

the question you should be asking: how can i do what i need to do without glue? since it burns off and the glass may move after that but before it is fused together, almost the only reason to use it is to transport the piece from workbench to the kiln.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I have tried most glues at one time or another.......I have to add that I am in love with hairspray. Like other said......when I find it at the dollar store I stock up. When doing work with alot of frit or powders it makes life easier and if I ever have to spray a devit spray on glass that is finicky it is fab! Also the smell brings back memories!!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Joseph Tracy

Post by Joseph Tracy »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Hairspray sounds promising. Wonder who thought of that?
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Use Suave pump hairspray and dilute elmers glue...no problems with either.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Brock

Post by Brock »

Joseph Tracy wrote:Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Hairspray sounds promising. Wonder who thought of that?
Marcel, the fey fuser . . .
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Brock wrote:
Joseph Tracy wrote:Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Hairspray sounds promising. Wonder who thought of that?
Marcel, the fey fuser . . .
I've never made a fey; does it require a mold?
Jerry
Laurie Schock

Post by Laurie Schock »

Have you tried cheap aloe vera gel? Water it down to the consistency that works for you.... It works great!
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Rave (pump, not aerosol) hairspray works well.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Laurie Spray wrote:I have tried most glues at one time or another.......I have to add that I am in love with hairspray. Like other said......when I find it at the dollar store I stock up. When doing work with alot of frit or powders it makes life easier and if I ever have to spray a devit spray on glass that is finicky it is fab! Also the smell brings back memories!!
What do you Mean Laurie, if I may ask. Do you use hair spray to remove devit? With firing? Without firing? Will it stay there and cover the devit forever?

Sounds very interesting,

Thanks,
Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Laurie Schock

Post by Laurie Schock »

Havi-i use the aloe vera gel as a glue.... Water it down and you can either spray it, brush it or apply it to the glass to hold whatever it is you need held. I haven't had any devit, discoloration or problems using it.
Havi

Post by Havi »

I use hair gel, which work fine for me.
I could not find here 'old fashioned' hair spray. I can't recall who told me about the gel, but it works very well, even though I have glass teck , I actually do not use it.

Havi
Haviva Z

Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

What i meant was if you have alot of fine frit on your piece that is finicky devit prone glass i will hairspray the frit down, let dry, the spray with devit spray.
Laurie Spray

Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
Havi

Post by Havi »

Laurie,
For me it is not necessary to do both.
I use hair gel when I want frit or powder to stick to a certain place. If I want to use Spray A I first dilute it, add more water to the spray, then apply it on the glass,
and if I 'just' want to glass to shine I sprinkle on it some powder, and fire it like this. I
find that it adds 'glassiness' to the glass.

Recently I had a problem with a piece I fired too many times to my taste, had to get rid of devit, [because of the bad fires], so I decided to kiln-form and clear the devit at one firing.
This can be done, to my knowledge, using the method Moje uses for slumping, which is detailed in H.Halem's book. The idea is the one rises as high as 750 Centigrade, but for 2-3 minutes. I could not rely on powder, as I worried it will slide away once the forming begins, so I used spray A.
Luckily it worked. No devit, everything is clean and clear, and the glass is formed. [you can see my other post here]

many thanks,
Havi
Haviva Z

Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Havi…..I only do both if I want a very soft mist to hold powders….then I use hair spray. My airbrush for debit spray is pretty strong even when I turn it down and I cannot rely on it to not destroy a days work in powders!!!! Thanks goodness we have both in our arsenal of tools!
Laurie Spray