Glue for fused work

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

loricrawford

Re: Glue for fused work

Post by loricrawford »

This was great information. I just read about hair spray yesterday and was going to ask if anyone used it. :D
lbailey

Post by lbailey »

Raising this old thread from the dead...

In the past I used a clear paste for children's workshops that we held off site. Simple projects with accessory glass that was stuck on 2 layer pre-fired tiles (using this paste) and transported back to my shop for firing. I got it from a store that did not label it and they have closed. It was pretty cheap and I suspect it was some form of CMC? Consistency of mayo, clear and odorless. Burned off with no hazing or devit, held projects together pretty well if you kept them fairly level. Really liked it.

I am out and need to make some, any suggestions? Thanks
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

White rain extra hold from the dollar store. After this stuff dries, you can build a house with it.
The other Jim
lbailey

Post by lbailey »

Yes, familiar with the hairspray option and have used it. But this gel/paste works for us with the kids because we can spread it on the tile (with a plastic putty knife), lay it down so the student can place and adjust their design pieces on top. Even without drying it holds the frit, stringer, etc., in place while transporting back to the shop for firing. Kinda like peanut butter but a bit thinner/looser.......
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I use CMC sometimes as glue -- works great. Mix it up to your desired consistency and enjoy ;).

Dana W.