Getting rid of devit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

Getting rid of devit

Post by Havi »

Hello again dear friends,

My piece is finally OK, even though still in the cold kiln.
I see some devit on it, especially on the edges [all of them, east-west, north-south]

This piece needs to be kiln-formed, which means I shall have to return it to the kiln for another time. The firing schedule will be similar to the way Moje slumps his pieces - which will necessitate going as high as 1382 degrees. So I shall have the opportunity of fire polishing the piece.

However, first I believe I got to get rid of the devit.
I think that the best would be to sandblast it away - - - but I have no sandblaster. I can get to go to a colleague who has, before doing this, I'd like to examine other options.
1. Is it possible to grind a little bit the devit area?
2. Is it possible [the easiest for me] to sprinkle some clear transparent glass powder before firing?
3. or spread some some spray A on the piece?

Do I HAVE to sandblast the piece?

Have you ever experienced a similar situation,
What worked for you???? [if at all]

Many thanks in advance
Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Stephen Richard

Re: Getting rid of devit

Post by Stephen Richard »

I suggest very fine wet and dry sandpaper to get the devit off. Frit and spray often do not stay on the curved edges thickly enough to do the job.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
thebige61

Post by thebige61 »

Etching cream is also a good option.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Thanks,
Can you please detail?
I do not understand , can I get rid of devit by using etching cream? This also makes the glass opaque...

Many thanks,

Havi
Haviva Z

thebige61

Post by thebige61 »

Well I'm making the assumption you would be fire polishing after using the cream. I'm inclined to think that sand blasting would render the glass opaque as well. I just re-read your post and it looks like you plan on fire polishing. That should make your piece shiny again no matter what method you use.
Havi

Post by Havi »

I have not yet opened the kiln.
But I piped , it seems that everything is fire polished . In the places where there was devit, I applied diluted Spray A, it seems to have worked.

I'll keep in mind the idea of acid polishing as an option for cleaning before fire polishing. Have you got a real experience that acid etch can be fire polished?

Thanks,
Havi
Haviva Z

haleybach

Post by haleybach »

Yes, you can fire polish after using acid etch, just like after sand blasting.
I find a dip easier to use than a cream, but it depends on what you are doing with it.

I know a fused glass artist that dips anything she cuts on a tile saw or uses a grinder on as part of her cleaning process, and she claims doing this prevents devit almost every time.

The active ingredient is "Ammonium Bifluoride"
Havi

Post by Havi »

OK guys here is the final result, kilnformed. Without devit, without any dirt.
No marks of the horrible cracks this piece had. Unbelievable . Lucky I have photos to prove that it was broken, especially around the central image.

I used Spray A, diluted it first with regular water, applied very thin layer [I found out, the heavier layers become white thru firing]
I am posting 2 photos - of the face of the piece, and of its back.
I would appreciate suggestions / ideas as how to present it, OR links to where I would be able to look at ideas
many thanks,
Thanks for 'listening' to me, and advising
Always greatful,
Havi
PS
I would like to mention that the white line you see at the back of the piece is not a crack or a score . IT is what was the end of the mesh melt before. Under the heat and the weight of the clear glass, it spread , but it kept the previous 'border' of the melt. Perhaps had I sandblasted it - I would have been able to prevent this.
PROBLEMTIC PIECE 001 52cm X 26.5 cm X13.5 cm 20.5 X 10.5 X 5 inch. - Copy.JPG
PROBLEMTIC PIECE 008 - Copy.JPG
Haviva Z